INSTRUMENT CLUSTER OR VSS PROBLEM?

1993 Geo Prizm

aae2288

May, 21, 2010 AT 5:15 PM

1993 Geo Prizm 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 98K miles

So I bought this geo prizm with the speedmeter not working. The only time it would move is when I went on the freeway and it would shoot up to 70 then go back down to 0 once you slowed. Decided to try and fix it myself by cleaning the solder joints on the back of the speedometer by taking the instrument cluster apart. When I put it back together the speedomter started working but the O/D light started blinking after a few minutes on the road and the transmission isnt shifting right. The check engine light went on but when I turned the car off it went away and doesnt come back on. Took it to a transmission place and had the diagnostics read and it siad " vehicle speed sensor" and this list of solenoid things that werent working properly. My question is should I replace the instrument cluster or the VSS? I heard it could be the instrument cluster instead of the VSS.

bluelightnin6

May, 21, 2010 AT 5:23 PM

Definitely sounds like faulty VSS to me, if cluster was at fault it would have nothing to do with tranny shifting issues.

aae2288

May, 21, 2010 AT 5:40 PM

Ok thanks, is it easy to replace on your own or do I have to take it to a mechanic? And Autozone quoted me 166 dollars on just the sensor itself : ( is there any cheaper way to fix this?

bluelightnin6

May, 21, 2010 AT 7:04 PM

The VSS is at the left front of the transaxle. It takes about an hour to replace it at a reputable repair shop, that is equal to approx. $80 labor fees. May shop elsewhere and find the sensor a bit cheaper.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Dynamat Door Installation