BRAKE DRUMS

Ford Windstar

pepperone

June, 23, 2007 AT 9:17 AM

Ford -2004 -tarus- auto I would like to know how I can get rear brake drums off I tried with a small screw driver & a brake tool for the star wheel. But there is not enough room to move brake ajusting lever back because the brake line is in the way so I can retrack shoes. Is there a special tool I should look for. This is not my first brake job. Ps I had these drums off about 10.000 miles back & there was a big lip on drum facing the back plate assy.I really don't want to take brake line off but if I have to so be it. Any help would be great. Thank you pepperone

Rear Drum Getting Hot

merlin2021

June, 23, 2007 AT 3:26 PM

Gently push the line out of the way. Use a 90 degree pick to push the adjusting lever back and I use a small screwdrever to turn the starwheel.

pepperone

June, 24, 2007 AT 8:12 AM

When you say push brake line out way is that with out disconncting it. And where can I get a 90 degree pick. Thanks pepperone

merlin2021

June, 24, 2007 AT 8:40 AM

Yes push it up out of the way slightly. Buy pick at parts store

pepperone

July, 4, 2007 AT 9:08 AM

As I said in my first post had these drums off at 50000 miles and they were extremly hard to get off & even harder to put back on. Now have 61000 and at 50000 miles they had a 3/8 inch ridge on side that faces backing plate now I can not get drums past that ridge even if I retract shoes as fsr as they can go. Is there a special puller I can get because they won't come off the regular way or can I just break drum with a 3 lb hammer.I belive drums are cast steel. Any help would be great. Thanks pepperone

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front