HOW DO I GET THE COMPUTER TO RESET

2001 Ford Windstar

writerkathy1

July, 20, 2008 AT 5:21 PM

Computer problem
2001 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 182000 miles

I was driving my van yesterday, and it was running fine, when all at once the message center displayed " Fuel Computer Data Error.&Quot; It then flashed " check transmission.&Quot; The ABS and Brake lights came on, the odometer reverted to, and the air conditioner and speedometer quit working.
The initial computer scan showed five codes: P1518, P1401, P0171, P0174, and P0401. A second scan a couple of hours later only showed P1518, which indicates the intake manifold runner is stuck open on Bank 1.
After some lengthy checking and concern, my husband found the problem was the plastic bushings on the end of the rods at the intake manifold runners. We bought the plastic bushings in a pack off the shelf at O'Reilly Auto Parts for less than $7.
He erased the codes, and unhooked the battery for sometime, but when I restart the van, the message center still reads " Fuel Computer Data Error" and the dash functions do not work.
How can we reset the computer and reset the message center? Thank you.

Ecm Problem

obxautomedic

July, 20, 2008 AT 8:45 PM

To clear the codes you have to put back on a scanner that can erase codes.

Disconnecting the battery on newer vehicles to clear codes isn't recommended and doesn't ussually work.