Theft lights?

JOE EDET
  • 2000 FORD WINDSTAR
Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic 120,000 miles.

It starts goes off. The engine will not crank and The theft lights blinks faster will not start again. I love this site
Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 12:44 PM

DAVE H
The vehicles PCM (computer) is not recognizing the key. It needs to be plugged in to a Ford diagnostic computer or equivalent to locate the fault.

Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) contains a theft indicator, encoded ignition key, transceiver module, instrument cluster, power-train control module (PCM), Standard Corporate Protocol (SCP) communication network and starter relay. PATS uses radio frequency identification technology to deter drive-away theft. Passive means it does not require any activity from user. PATS uses specially encoded keys containing permanently installed transponders. Each transponder contains an identification code. Each replacement encoded ignition key must be programmed into instrument cluster before it is able to start engine. Encoded keys are larger than traditional keys, do not require batteries and should last lifetime of vehicle.
Transceiver module communicates with encoded ignition key and is located behind steering column cover. Transceiver module reads encoded key and sends data to instrument cluster during each vehicle start sequence. Instrument cluster initiates key interrogation sequence when vehicle ignition switch is turned to run or start position. PATS uses PCM to enable or disable engine. Instrument cluster and PCM have shared security data, making them a matched pair.
PATS also disables starter motor. If instrument cluster is removed from vehicle, engine will not start. Theft indicator will prove out for three seconds when ignition switch is turned to run or start position. If PATS is malfunctioning, theft light will flash rapidly or glow steadily. PATS theft indicator flashes every two seconds after ignition switch is turned to off to act as a visual theft deterrent. PATS will not store DTC or flash theft indicator if valid encoded ignition key is used and a failure occurs in starter relay circuit.
+4
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 9:49 PM
JOE EDET
Ford Windstar 2000.
I started the car and the engine runs for two seconds and off it goes. I now replaced a new battery and the engine refuses to start again, the theft lights blinks faster than normal each time I try to crank the engine, but the car will not start.
+7
Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 AT 2:41 PM
DAVE H
Is there an after market immobilizer fitted? (The Ford immobilizer cuts starter motor function) it sounds like you are getting fuel at initial KEY ON (PCM initializes pump), but then the pump is not kicking in while cranking. You will need to check you are getting power and ground to the fuel pump while cranking.

Fuel pump monitor (models without fuel pump driver module).
The fuel pump monitor (FPM) circuit is spliced into the fuel pump power (fuel pump power) circuit and used by the PCM for diagnostic purposes. The PCM sources a low current voltage down the FPM circuit.
With fuel pump off, voltage is pulled low by the path to ground through the fuel pump. With fuel pump off and the FPM circuit low, the PCM can verify the FPM circuit and fuel pump power circuit are complete from the FPM splice through the fuel pump to ground. This confirms that the fuel pump power or FPM circuits are not shorted to power.
With the fuel pump on, voltage is supplied from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump power and FPM circuits. With the fuel pump on and FPM circuit high, PCM can verify fuel pump power circuit from fuel pump relay to FPM splice is complete. It can also verify that fuel pump relay contacts are closed and battery voltage is supplied to fuel pump relay.
Fuel pump monitor (models with fuel pump driver module).
The fuel pump driver module (FPDM) communicates diagnostic information to the PCM through the fuel pump monitor (FPM) circuit. This information is sent to the PCM as a duty cycle signal. PCM uses this signal to verify FPDM is powered and able to communicate on the FPM circuit.
+6
Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 AT 3:29 PM
JOE EDET
I have been using the car for two years plus. I do not think there is after market immobilizer, but is it possible for me to get rid of the security system in the car? It has become every day issues with the theft light problem, after it has been solve it keeps on re-occurring. Could it be eliminated?
+2
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 1:57 PM
DAVE H
It is not possible to remove or disable the PATS (immobilizer) system, it is built into the PCM (computer) and therefore cannot be removed.
-1
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 2:22 PM
JOE EDET
Where can we locate the interloper and by pass it and start the car?
+6
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 3:05 PM
DAVE H
You cannot bypass the immobilizer, it is controlled by the PCM (computer). It will need to be plugged into a Ford diagnostic computer or equivalent scantool, but the immobilizer cuts starter motor operation. F the car is cranking then your fault is not in the immobilizer.
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 9:33 PM
JOE EDET
I replace a new battery that causes the theft light to flash very fast and the car will not start.
+3
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 1:19 PM
DAVE H
Is the car/van turning over and not firing up (cranking)? Or is it totally out (dash light's on but nothing else)? Let me know.
+3
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 2:40 PM
JOE EDET
All lights in the dash board is on, but engine will not crank.
+1
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 3:04 PM
DAVE H
Okay, as previously stated, the immobilizer is now keeping the car from starting. This needs to be reset via Ford's diagnostic scantool or equivalent. The PCM is not getting the correct signal from the key. There is no way of bypassing this system. When cranking check if you are getting twelve volts to the starter motor B+ terminal?
+3
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 3:37 PM
TENNBILL
I have a 2000 Windstar which recently went into a 'no start' mode. Went from several tries to start, short starter tries, to no start. Hooked up my craftsman OBD2 tool and went to enhanced DTC's mode and then KOER (engine running) and hit starter. Car starts right up every time. Disengage OBD tool, no start. Only have one key, used car, only one key. Is it the key or something else?
+3
Wednesday, December 23rd, 2015 AT 10:08 AM
LRCVAN MOM
  • 2003 FORD WINDSTAR
2003 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 71000 miles

My van has always had a problem with interior lights coming on and blinking off and on for minutes at a time.
Now, the van while parked and with alarm activated, it will start to honk and blink as if the panic button had been depressed. What do I look for in trying to fix this problem? Has a new battery and alternator.
Thursday, November 16th, 2017 AT 3:28 PM (Merged)
BILLYMAC
Hi check all the door sensors make sure all doors are latching properly make sure the batt in the fob is good. Replace the batt if you can, t remember when you replaced it. Other then this you will need a scanner to dig further into the anti theft system. Billymac