1999 Ford Windstar overheating

FATHERP
  • 1999 FORD WINDSTAR
My engine temperature is getting hot, that is what my gauges is saying. I have plenty of coolant, and aux fans are working, and doesn't fell like my thermostat is sticking my heater is working fine.
My question: Where is my engine temperature sensor? I have looked for it and unable to find it.
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 1:38 PM

What engine 3.0L or 3.8L?
+1
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 1:45 PM
FATHERP
It is a 3.8 litre
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 1:47 PM
The ECT sensor is located on no. 13 see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_ect_6.jpg

+1
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 4:36 PM
SCHRIMPIEMAN
Be careful you choose the correct sensor: There are two water temp sensors in this same area. One is for the car computer to determine correct running parameters. The other one is exclusively for the dash temp gauge.

The one for the gauge should have only one wire attached to it (Red/White-stripe)
The other is for the car computer, has 2 wires (Light-Green/Red Stripe, and Grey/Red Stripe)

The sending unit with the two wires attached controls the fans, which ultimately cools the engine.

To gain access, you'll need to remove the intake snorkel & possibly the throttle body. If your fans are cycling on/off during extended idle, then the 2-wire sensor is doing its job and the 1-wire sensor is not sending the correct signal to the dash gauge. Replace the 1-wire sensor.

On the other hand, if your fans are not cycling and the coolant starts to bubble and/or steam is escaping from the pressure relief on the radiator cap, stop engine immediately, let it cool off for an hour or so. Replace 2-wire sensor.
Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 9:58 PM
FATHERP
Wanted to say thanks for information. Very helpful. Soryy took so long to reply. Information appreciated very much.
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 11:55 AM