IGNITION

1968 Ford Torino

nnnips

April, 29, 2010 AT 5:20 PM

1968 Ford Torino V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

when I started my car the starter kept spinning and grinding, when I tried to turn the car off it would not turn off. I got the car shut off by closing the choke. When I tried to start the car again I needed to jump it and when I connected the jumper cables the engine started to turn-over and the jumper cables got hot. Is it just the ignition that needs to be changed?

April, 30, 2010 AT 2:56 AM

Check the starter relay sounds like its sticking try banging on it when it continues to crank the engine over if it stops replace it, next thing if it continues check and test the ignition switch.

nnnips

May, 2, 2010 AT 10:12 AM

I replaced the starter relay and charged the battery. I am now seeing other symtoms.

1. When the headlights are on the blinkers do not blink
2. I let it sit over night and when I tried to start it. It started to crank but the battery seemed to not have enough of a charge and then all I heard was clicking.

Any thoughts?

May, 2, 2010 AT 2:48 PM

Double check the battery condition and connection if okay try testing the ignition switch starting circuit.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang