MY CAR WILL NOT TURN OFF

1996 Ford Thunderbird

alex1985

May, 20, 2008 AT 4:32 PM

1996 Ford Thunderbird 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 178000 miles

hello everyone! I have a 96 thunderbird and I cannot turn my car off. Well it seems the ignition switch is stuck on the" on" position and I can take my key out. Car starts fine and runs well. Ummm between the ACC position and the actual " start" position there is no resistance I can actually drive and " play" with the key in the switch. Sooo please help me!

May, 21, 2008 AT 6:48 AM

Replace the ignition switch

alex1985

May, 28, 2008 AT 5:01 PM

Changed out ignition switch and still does the same thing. : -(

May, 29, 2008 AT 12:36 AM

I cannot turn my car off. Well it seems the ignition switch is stuck on the" on" position and I can take my key out. The way you described the problem with the key gave me the curve ball-

Do you mean when you turn key to off the engine continues to run-if so the idle speed needs adjustment or the throttle plate is bindng not completely shutting off the airflow thru the throttle body.

alex1985

May, 29, 2008 AT 8:15 PM

Ok. First thing is I can turn my car on. Second thing is when the car is on I can turn the key to off position and take the key out and the engine will still run. The only way I can turn my car off is by pulling a fuse under the hood. Also when the car is on and the key is in the ignition swicth there is " play" with the ignition switch.

May, 29, 2008 AT 9:16 PM

There's still a problem with the ignition switch-could be the input power to the switch is shorted to the ignition circuit have you thought of this. The only way the ignition will work -it has to go thru the Ign switch and also control other components to complete the fuel and ignition circuit

garnetrose1927

June, 1, 2008 AT 3:47 PM

Hi Alex1985,
Don't know if you fixed your problem. My 96 T-bird started doing the same thing 3 days ago. My husband, after checking the ignition and the switch came to the conclusion it was in the linkage between the two. Sure enough it appeared there was a pin missing that connected it together. He made his own and now my car shuts off when we turn the key off. Hope this helps you out.

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006