TURN SIGNALS

1991 Ford Thunderbird

tskrtich

September, 7, 2009 AT 10:34 AM

1991 Ford Thunderbird 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

They don't work. I've had relays go out on other cars before but the difference is that you can operate the light manually, meaning, turn them on and off repeatedly to make them blink. This vehicle I have nothing.

Now is this just a relay or is it deeper, requiring a little digging into the electrical? First were is the relay located at?

bluelightnin6

September, 7, 2009 AT 10:39 AM

Hello and thanks for the donation!

Your vehicle's turn signal / hazard flasher relay is located behind the dash, right of the steering column. .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Graphic_165.jpg

So you're saying that the turn signal lamps are not lighting up at all correct? How about the hazard switch, does it operate the signal lamps properly?

tskrtich

September, 7, 2009 AT 10:58 AM

My hazards work but my turn signal dont. No illumination or " clicking" when opperating the signals.

bluelightnin6

September, 7, 2009 AT 11:00 AM

Okay, since the hazards do work this eliminates a faulty relay as both the hazards and turn signals use the same relay to function. This leads to either faulty wiring at the multifunction (turn signal) switch or a faulty switch itself.

tskrtich

September, 7, 2009 AT 11:06 AM

Oh sh**, that means deeper digging, huh?

bluelightnin6

September, 7, 2009 AT 11:09 AM

Yep, most likely it needs the switch replaced but just to be safe it is always a good idea to check the wiring before purchasing the switch.

tskrtich

September, 7, 2009 AT 11:23 AM

Okay. Starting at the switch (which is the lever, correct) and going to the relay or where?

bluelightnin6

September, 7, 2009 AT 4:35 PM

Just visually inspect the wiring at the switch (yes, the lever). If it looks OK, test it with a meter to see if it is getting power when it is supposed to (turned ON ). If it is then wiring is OK and switch is bad. If it's not getting power then there is a open circuit somewhere and I will have to post wiring diagrams for you to follow and inspect on your vehicle.

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro