1957 T-BIRD MISSING

1962 Ford Thunderbird

charger69

October, 15, 2010 AT 9:18 AM

1962 Ford Thunderbird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

I have a 1957 Ford T-Bird with 312 c.I.D. V-8 that misses on every other cylinder on the distributor cap. A perfect H pattern on the wires going into the cap. No fire on left bank two center and right bank front and rear. Could this be a timing chain problem to run dead on four cylinders yet have good fire on the other four? New: wires, cap, rotor, distributor, plugs, coil. Checked valves (found three bent push rods on left bank not related to missfires). Compression test (all 120 to 130), book says 160. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Kraig O'Hara Longwood, FL

Engine Miss

October, 15, 2010 AT 9:24 AM

Is your ignition system modified?

charger69

October, 15, 2010 AT 1:41 PM

No, the ignition system is original with no modifications. This is a supercharged T-Bird with dual point distributor. We have tried a standard single point 312 to eliminate the possibility of problem there. The carbuator is a 4 barrel Holly " Christmas Tree" that is the correct factory application. I've considered a carb. Balance problem but there are dead holes on either side. Dead cylinders are getting fuel and have spark at the plug: 1 & 4 on one side and 6 & 7 on the other. I can remove these four wires from the cap while it is running and there is no change in the engine. The others are very respondent.
Thanks for your help.
Kraig

October, 15, 2010 AT 1:59 PM

You're doing a cylinder balance test on all 4 cylinders and not dropping the engine rpm and you're getting spark and fuel-this is very strange-my advise here it recheck the engine compression-160 psi specs tolerance of 10/20% up and down-you're close to it-

Do a cylinder leakage test-double check you got me going here

If there's a problem with the timing chain it will affect all the cylinders

Camshaft?