1993 Ford Tempo Using aftermarket thermo in place of CCRM

TAZ XANTH
  • 1993 FORD TEMPO
Engine Cooling problem
1993 Ford Tempo 4 cyl

I recently had an overheating problem with my Tempo. Two things I noticed, one was coolant coming from weep hole in water pump (bad pump) and two, the radiator cooling fan not coming on. I used jumper wires to confirm the fan is operational so I suspect the CCRM is bad (since all the wires and conections are in good condition). My questions:

1) I need a schematic of the CCRM so I can test it to be sure it is faulty.

2) If it is bad, I plan to used an after market adjustable thermostat fan control unit available from my local parts store for this application. The kit comes with teperature sensor (inserted in upper radiator hose), a relay control, wire, connectors, mounting hardware, etc. What setting should I set this relay to for my engine? The range is from 140F~250F.

3) Has anyone had experience (good or bad) with using this aftermarket kit? Which is $17 vs the $117 for a new CCRM.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Saturday, August 21st, 2010 AT 9:17 AM

If you can do i, t set it at 195-220 deg
Saturday, August 21st, 2010 AT 4:31 PM