Taurus start problem - intermittent; won't turnover

KWIESN
  • FORD TAURUS
2001 Taurus was running fine for two weeks (recent purchase) then it simply would not start all of a sudden yesterday. Sometimes it will start and then it runs fine. Last two days spent eliminating ( or trying to) possible cause. It may or may not start if I try again after I get it started.

2001 Taurus
93,500 miles
Std 3.0L
Automatic trans (column shifter)
no other problems - when it starts it runs fine.

Removed starter and benchtested - ok.
Wires to/from it look okay. Cleaned connections and to battery
Verified battery ok - tried jump starting with another vehicle - no go.
Replaced ignition switch (under steering column).
Swapped starter relay and starter fuses. - OK.

Next?
I don't know how to test the Transmission Ranger Sensor exactly? (I have a volt meter/ohm meter. Etc). My Chiltons is vague on exactly which lead to measure voltage on etc.

Help?

I am about ready to drive (or have it towed :) to the shop.
Tuesday, October 16th, 2007 AT 6:28 PM

SERVICE WRITER
When it doesn't start in park, will it start in nuetral?
Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 8:56 AM
KWIESN
No. Neither in park or neutral.

I think the problem might be in that switch. This is about the last thing I have to eliminate besides a "open" in the wiring. I'll remove the wire to the starter solenoid again and check continuity from it to the transmission sensor.

Any experience changing and adjusting the transmission "Range Sensor"? The book refers to a alignment tool required when replacing it.

Suggestions?
Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 3:25 PM
KWIESN
Problem solved! Bad starter. I went back to it again, removed and re-tested myself. Note this was the second time - I thought I already eliminated this. I discovered it would work with wires attached when starter was only in a certain position - I was testing on the floor of my garage. If I rotated/layed starter on it's other side and tested - it would NOT work. I finally came to this conclusion since it simply would NOT fire when installed on the car - period. Talk about going in circles!

Hint: if no start and testing starter; make sure you test it several times AND in a couple of different positions.
Thursday, October 18th, 2007 AT 12:31 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Thanks for the update. That is a valuable lesson huh?

The key is to test when the problem is happening at that moment or your'e right you go in circles.
Thursday, October 18th, 2007 AT 12:35 PM