Ford Taurus 1997 ---Coolant Leaking

AMITSINGH000
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
Its 163000 miles old.I have a problem, whenever I drive 10 -15 miles and stop the antifreeze comes out from the car and the reservoir gets empty. I checked it with mechanic they replace the cracked cyllinder head. But still it has the same problem. Now they are saying, water pump is the problem, and you have to replace it. Can you please suggest whats the problem?
Friday, November 23rd, 2007 AT 2:54 PM

MERLIN2021
I suggest your mechanic may be one of the problems. Get a preesure test of the cooling system, it will reveal were the leak is comming from. Go to a radiator specialty shop, they do this all day long!
Friday, November 23rd, 2007 AT 8:01 PM
HITEKREDNEK
Take merlin2021's advice and get the system pressure tested.

The overflow bottle itself could be the problem. My 97 started losing coolant and the one place I didn't look was the overflow bottle.

Once I pressure tested it, the overflow bottle looked like a lawn sprinkler.

If that's your problem, they're still available at Ford for about $40.

Hope this helps.
Wednesday, November 28th, 2007 AT 9:29 AM
MERLIN2021
http://www.rockauto.com/
Available on the internet, and they take paypal, if it is the bottle and in my own car it was...17.00!
Wednesday, November 28th, 2007 AT 3:07 PM
PETEFORD98
Ok if this is your problem you can order overflow bottle from advanced auto for about around 10 bucks, I had this happen to me hope this helps you
Thursday, November 29th, 2007 AT 11:43 AM