2005 Ford Taurus OBD-II codes and catalytic convertors

DOCVOX
  • 2005 FORD TAURUS
My MIL light is on. My OBD-II returns a PO-430 code, "Catalyst system below threshold Bank 2". I presume that means catalytic convertor replacement time. My service manual shows one dual y-shaped cat, which can be obtained from Eastern and several others for a relatively modest $300 or so. Repair shops are telling me there are additional convertors and to expect $900+ for parts, labor additional. The replacement looks like a bear of a job without a lift. Are there additional cats beyond the y-shaped one? If so, how do I differentiate which one(s) should be replaced? Is the dual y-shaped cat a bolt-in job or must it be cut out and welded in place?

Sorry! "My bad!" It's a 49 state 3.0L V-6 OHV, I believe that's a "U" engine code, but it appears both V-6s that year use the same Y-shaped cat. Can you tell me if there is an additional cat behind that? If there were an O-2 sensor problem additionally, wouldn't that show up as additional codes? Some of my monitors still do not show as "incomplete" after driving the vehicle for two or three days after clearing a code.
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 4:26 PM

BMRFIXIT
All depend on what you have for engine and emission
California emission is a different then the federal
before doing any ordering make sure you have the correct information (if it California or federal)
the price is about $ 300 dollars is for federal catalytic converter
some come with front and rear converter and have it checked
it is a B and to do and that using a lift
I would imagine for it to be very difficult to do laying down under the vehicle
one more think was the O2 sensors checked
do you have any exhaust leak
all this would effect the catalytic converter
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 6:07 PM
DOCVOX
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 6:21 PM
BMRFIXIT
Sorry I didn't get your reply
let try that again
hit the reply to question
write down in clear box and hit submit
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 6:31 PM
DOCVOX
Sorry! I did not give you complete vehicle info. It is a 2005 Taurus 3.0L V-6, OHV, 49 state, I believe engine code "U", though, it sems both V-6 engine codes that year used the same dual Y-shaped cat.
Is there anadditional catalytic convertor behind the dual Y-shaped cat? Does the Y-Cat need to be welded in? I do not have an exhaust leak, nor are there any other codes displayed. When I clear the codes, the IM monitors for catalyst system and evaporative system are still shown as "incomplete" several days and numerous cold starts later. If I replace the cat, should the O-2 sensors also be replaced? I believe there are four of them, and several were replaced when the vehicle was still under warranty.
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 8:44 PM
BMRFIXIT
The Y catalytic converter assembly all you need as far as other converter even if you have it its not monitored and no need to replace it
(which I dont believe you have one )

I " ve always installed a new O2 sensors
with a job like this
yes you have four before and after the cat

if its monitors not getting ready
check if engine reaching operating temp
and also check thermostat and coolant sensor
check and monitor O2 sensors
if one was changed on a bank and not the other in some cases you would get similar codes

should not need to weld any pipes
it bolts to the manifolds and to the rear pipe
Saturday, November 7th, 2009 AT 4:55 AM