OIL LEAK FROM FILTER EFFECTING STARTER?

2004 Ford Taurus

martinbryson

April, 3, 2009 AT 8:22 AM

2004 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 77000 miles

i had an oil leak from the base of my oil filter after I fixed the leak problem my starter giving me problems sometimes it will not start at all.

Oil Leak From Engine

blackop555

April, 5, 2009 AT 8:58 AM

If the oil soaked the starter it can cause poor connection. Also if it gets inside it can short out teh coils and such.

Does starter turn on at all?

martinbryson

April, 5, 2009 AT 5:24 PM

As far as I can tell there is a tick when I try to start it only one tick! Each time I try. I also tried to jump start the car thinking the battery was bad with no results same tick. Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot this problem? I would hate to spend 150$ on a starter if thats not the issue. However the car has made that screeching sound when trying to start it earlier last year. I did remove the starter today there is a burnt smell inside it is it hard to take apart to see inside?

blackop555

April, 6, 2009 AT 5:58 PM

Take in teh starter and the relay to a local autopart store they will most likely test it for free.

Could be a bad relay. Try jumping the starter at the solenoid and see if it engages.

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front