A/C CLUTCH NOISY

2003 Ford Taurus

leewardhall

October, 28, 2007 AT 11:04 PM

At 95000 miles my a/c clutch started making a ringing sound. When the a/c is on and clutch is engaged the noise goes away. The ford dealer said they had to replace the compressor assy. At a different repair shop they said they had to replace not only the compressor but the filter drier and accumulator. I think it is just a bushing for the pulley that is bad and causes the pulley to wobble. Can the pulley be replaced only or do they have to pull the compressor? If they pull the compressor, do they necessarily need to replace the compressor?
Thank you for your input.

Louisw123

November, 29, 2010 AT 12:14 AM

If your AC is still working but it is making noise then it is not engaged, it means your clutch bearings are probably deteriorating or missing some. You could probably remove the clutch without removing the AC compressor but you may find it difficult removing the clutch pully do to the lack of space. I would remove the whole ac compressor. This means you will have to remove the compressor oil and refill after the compressor is reinstalled. There is a ring clip on the end of the compressor shaft that has to be removed before the pully can be removed. You can buy the clutch as a seperate unit which will save a lot of money.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML