2002 FORD TAURUS AIR CONDITIONING CLUTCH

• wandae
  • 2002 Ford Taurus

Air Conditioning problem
2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

My air conditioning started blowing hot air. When I stopped at a red light smoke was coming from under the hood and there was a burning smell.
The mechanice tells me my air conditioner clutch is broken, the compressor is locked up and I must replace both at a cost of $700 - $1,000. He also says the car is undriveable because the belt is in danger of breaking.
Does this sound right?

Saturday, July 19th, 2008 AT 6:47 PM

• obxautomedic

Yes, it actually sounds a little low. Ask them what all they are going to replace. Because if they don't replace all neccessary components the warrantee will be void. They should flush system replace the compressor and the Accumulater and orifice tube filter.

Saturday, July 19th, 2008 AT 9:51 PM
  • wandae

Is there anything speific I need to be looking for from the repair shop?
Approximately how many labor hours should this repair take?

Sunday, July 20th, 2008 AT 3:18 PM
  • obxautomedic

I would just make sure they are replacing all neccessary components so the warrantee on the compressure isn't Voided. As long as they replace all components the warrantee for the whole system should be a year.

The repair work can take up to 8 hours. They have to evacuate the system which will take about an hour. Then replace the components which can take about 4 - 5 hours. Then around 2 hours to recharge the system.

Sunday, July 20th, 2008 AT 8:23 PM
  • wandae

Thanks so much for your help. I ended up having the car towed to the mechanic I have used before-closer to home. He said the compressor was no longer locked up, but that it did need to be replaced.
Your advice has been very helpful. I knew what to ask and I know what to be sure they do.

Monday, July 21st, 2008 AT 7:13 PM
  • magnuson56

Can you please tell me the final cost and if you purchased new parts or got parts from the junk yard. I just purchased a taurus and noticed this problem as well. I would like to know the amount that I am going to be putting into this.

Sunday, August 10th, 2008 AT 3:36 PM