ENGINE NOISE

2003 Ford Taurus

Tony J Lux

March, 4, 2009 AT 6:25 PM

2003 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 84212 miles

I have a '03 Taurus with a 3.0 pushrod engine. There is a clicking noise from the engine constantly both cold and hot. The local dealer says that the engine needs a " cam sensor and synchro". What do these 2 items do and what would cause them to make noise. Also, would running the engine cause any engine damage?

Schrimpieman

March, 4, 2009 AT 9:59 PM

The camshaft position sensor and synchronization assembly is essentially one unit. It has the aluminum formed piece with a rod engaged to the camshaft via gear, and the plastic/abs molded sensor which fits on top of the aluminum piece I just described. It's purpose is to inform the engine computer at what position the cylinder(s) are, so that the fuel injection system injects fuel at each cylinder at the correct moment of engine rotation.

It's location is in the center of the " V" of the V-6 engine, under the thermostat. Open the hood, follow the upper radiator hose from the radiator (driver-side of vehicle) to the engine. That's the thermostat housing. Under the housing is the cam synchro and sensor unit.

Usually when they go bad, they start making a squealing noise such as a loose belt. Reason: Lack of lubrication of rotating shaft inside aluminum housing. Solution, need to replace assembly; they are generally not servicable. You can try removing plastic/abs sensor unit and spraying some penetrating oil, but chances are this will not be successful.

These units usually don't make clicking noises unless something went out of line inside the sensor. Remove plastic/abs sensor (color black). If the inside is all chewed up, it may be the culprit for making the clicking noise. If the inside is clean and not damaged, suspect other area(s) for clicking. Not the synchro assembly.

Be aware, the synchro assembly must be installed correctly in time with the engine. There are proper ways to do this. Just make sure your mechanic knows how. Otherwise, your engine will run rough and you'll likely get a check-engine light in your dashboard.

Schrimpieman

March, 4, 2009 AT 10:04 PM

Oh, and would running engine cause damage due to clicking noise? That's difficult to say yes or no. Any clicking is not good. Also, the extent of clicking noise cannot be " measured". My opinion of clicking may vary from another mechanic's perception of clicking. So I may say get the engine serviced, and another mechanic may say " drive the car until it gets louder". Well, how much louder? You may ask.

Get a few opinions from reputable mechanics and proceed as you deem necessary.

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze