2001 Ford Taurus Very low heat

DANUSEASON
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
Heater problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive 143000 miles

It took a long time to drive before it start to get low heat but never gets real hot.

updated 12/23/09
I just want to thank you all for responding as well as helping me out solving my car problem
on my "2001 Ford Taurus with very low heat". Well, I did exactly what you told me to do. I drained the coolant and disconnected the two hoses that goes to the heater core at the engine side and pinched the by-pass hose, flushed with a garden hose and compressed air. After I flushed it a few times, noticing I got good pressure and clear fluid came out of the heater hose, I put everything back, refilled coolant and and run the car and now I got very good heat. Thank you so very much for the great help. I was trying to post this in the forum so everyone can see but I'm not sure why I couldn't do it. If you can, please post this for others to see as well. Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you ALL and keep up the great work helping people like me in need of good advice and great help with our car problems. God Bless.
Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 8:39 AM

BMRFIXIT
Check coolant level
Is the car reaching operating temp (if not or engine taking long time to reach operating temp suspect and replace thermostat )
Check heater core hoses if both are hot,
If both hoses hot and not enough heat inside suspect blend door actuator
If one hose hot and the other warm or cold the heater core need to be flushed (very common)
as a 1st step
these are the steps
WARNING: NEVER REMOVE THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY. TO AVOID HAVING SCALDING HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT OF THE COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE, USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP FROM A HOT COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE. WAIT UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, THEN WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY UNTIL PRESSURE BEGINS TO RELEASE. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN CERTAIN ALL PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE PRESSURE CAP (STILL WITH A CLOTH), TURN AND REMOVE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP.
Engine cool
lower the coolant level
Locate the two hoses running to the heater core
disconnect them at the engine side leaving hoses connected to heater core throw the firewall
make sure you pinch and close the bypass hose between the two heater hoses
use garden water hose and compressed air if possible
run the water and follow by air throw one side and out the other and vice versa
do that two to three times watching what leaving the heater core you are looking for the good flow and clear water to run throw
reconnect hoses
top off coolant system
good luck
let me know
Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 9:35 PM