1999 Ford Taurus Clicking when I hit gas or brakes

BILL-FICKES
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
Noises problem
1999 Ford Taurus Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Every time I hit the gas or brakes there is a loud click in the front of my car, almost sounds like im running over a fragile stick. Car shop said not to worry about ig but damn its annoying. Also the car pulses and surges a lot. It stalls. Especially when I go uphill. Ive had the fuel pump replaced, ran fuel injector cleaner through it, changed the fuel filter and spark plugs. Its in the shop getting the coil packs replaced now. What do I do for both of these?
Sunday, August 9th, 2009 AT 1:18 PM

First, does the noise change when making turns? And if the shop said "don't worry about it" did they say what caused it? Like you, it would drive me crazy, and you and I both know it isn't normal. My first guess would be CV joints. Did they check them? You can do it. In a parking area, turn the steering all the way left or right. See if it gets worse, and let me know.

As far as the engine, has the check engine light ever come on so it could be scanned for codes? Has anyone checked the catylatic converter to see if it is plugging?
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 10:49 PM
BILL-FICKES
K I got it back from the shop and the coil pack was the stalling prob. The spark plugs were overloading it.

The loud noise is still there. What exactly am I looking for when I check the cv joints? The shop couldnt figure it out. When I turn while parked it doesnt click but grinds a little, like a vacuum. Mainly the only time it acts abnormal is while driving. Ill hit the gas and it sounds kinda like its clickin into place. The same when I hit the brakes. Only its very loud and sounds as if its coming from the front right tire. What are the best ways to check the cv joints?
Wednesday, August 12th, 2009 AT 3:17 AM
The easiest way to check is to drive in a circle to see if the sound gets worse. Also, I want you to check the backing plate behind the rotor to see if it is rusted or bent allowing it to rub the rotor.
Wednesday, August 12th, 2009 AT 11:15 AM
BILL-FICKES
Vhecked the cv joints and that's not it, but we noticed on the undercarriage that one of the bolts holding it up was bent back. it looks like the aframe is pushing it back when accel or decel, causing a clunk. i plan on jacking up the frame to relieve the pressure on it, hammering the bolt lightly back to straight, putting a washer on, and finally tightening the bolt back up. i'll let you know how it goes. thanx for all of this. ive included a pic of the bent one, although it might be difficult to see.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/394160_GetAttachment_1.jpg

Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 3:55 PM
THe picture is fine. However, I can't tell what it is holding. Is that a body mount?
Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 9:13 PM
BILL-FICKES
Yes it is and that turned out to be the problem. Thank you for all of the help and ill be back if I need any other assistance. Thank you.
Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 AT 1:34 PM
Thanks for using 2carpros. Com

Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 AT 10:28 PM