1997 Ford Taurus removal of the "y" crossover exh

• 1 POST
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS

1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 220, 00 miles

I am replacing the oil pan gasket and need to drop the y pipe from the exhaust manifold. I have the front off, that was easy, but the rear one is a bugger. I can get a sockect on it with a wiggler and and extension, 1/2" drive. I have to use a 12 piont regular socket because the only impact sockets I have are deepwell. That is the rear bolt on the manifold I can't even see the front bolt on the rear manifold. How do I get it off?

Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 10:55 PM

Hi the 12 point socket will most likely cause you big probs as in rounding the bolt off and then you have real probs. I would go buy the right 6 point socket much cheaper in the long run. You can, t see the front bolt but you can feel it with your fingers and a swivel extension and a large breaker bar will get it off. Sometimes you have to use your eyes in your fingers lol. Billymac

Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 4:48 PM