Engine Mechanical problem
1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles
My wife was driving down highway, when car started slowing down on its own. She pulled over and it shut off. It would not restart. The engine would turn over rapidly, but not start.
Prior to this: Noticed in last few days, the car sporadically would not start. Unless I pumped throttle a couple times while starting it up. This was sporadic though, maybe once per day/every two days. Was suspecting possible fuel pump issue.
Also, know there is a cooling system issue. Needs a flush. There was some steam present when the incident occured. But, don't believe this is a symptom of the current problem -- but thought I would mention it.
Here is what I have done/checked.
- No water in oil. Oil is good (Oil and filter 1 mo old)
- Changed Fuel Filter thinking possible clog (needed it)
- When turning car on (before it cranks), can hear fuel pump engage, faintly, but I hear it.
- battery good, connections good.
- Fuel Pump Fuse OK.
- Like an idiot I forgot to depressurize the fuel system before I removed the fuel line coming into the fuel filter, and got a fuel shower. This came out with a bunch of force, so I am assuming the fuel pump IS actually working.
I really need some help trying to find which direction to go in. Am I on the right track checking fuel related issues?
have the same problem?
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 10:52 AM