Where is the vehicle speed sensor located?

KRMT
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
I just got a new transmission put in this car 2 months ago and now they told me my speed sensor is out. I am wanting to know where this is located and is it easy to change?
Friday, October 3rd, 2008 AT 12:43 PM

The vehicle speed sensor is located on the transmission near the CV axle input. Here is a diagram below showing you the location #4. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
-1
Friday, October 3rd, 2008 AT 12:57 PM
BROO118
  • FORD TAURUS
1995 Taurus GL 3.8 142k miles. My tranny would work properly about a 1/4 of the time, shifting up or down as speeds required. Replaced VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) Old one showed 210 ohms. Wires have continuity back to the wire harness plug. Back tested and found less than a volt, with the engine running. From my info I am supposed to have 6 to 24 volts. How do I get to the computer so I could read the pinouts of the computer? My Haynes book does not show where it is located.
Saturday, August 11th, 2018 AT 3:02 PM (Merged)
BHUGG
Let's get to the basics first. Did you check all your fuses. There is a Power distribution Box (PDB) under the hood that contains fuses and relays. Did you check all the fuses?
On my 93 explorer, It is fuse #4 in the PDB and it is also fed thru the PCM power relay also in the PDB. My schmetic for my ranger sayes that the VSS should be 200 - 300 ohms.
If the fuses check out, try to switch out the relay with another one that is the same size and type.
I have had several relays go bad in my Ford.

Check that out and let the forum know what happens.

If you like our comments, give us a vote.
JACK42
The link "find a manual for your car" bottom of main forum page is to Mitchell-On-Demand, all info you seek is in there, wiring diagrams, everything
BROO118
All fuses under the hood and dash are good. This an itermittant problem like a bad connection or solder joint on the computer PCB. The tranny works properly 1/4 of the time. If I start out and it is not working properly, I can pull over, and shut down. I will restart put it in gear, and it just might work fine. The schematic that I have says that across pins 3 and 6 of the computer board, one should read between 6 to 24v. I have.7v on that line going to the VSS. I dont know where that board is, does anyone know?
ROCKET
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
Where is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) located on the transmission case? I can't find it and I can't tell from the Haynes' manual photo (first time thats ever happened). Is this another one of those precious Ford blind installation and removal procedures? They do love to challenge to home mechanic don't they?

I already know it's the speed sensor. Speedometer goes haywire and it won't shift out of first (intermittenly).
ROCKET
Are you sure? I finally found it and I think I get at it with a crows foot. There is enough access to get maybe a nubby in there. Oh! I forgot, I have small hands. I think I can get it.

For future reference I already had to locate the sensor for another person. The manual doesn't mention that it has an insulation cover over it (the aluminum tape insulation cover looks like part of the tranny case until you move it).

" It's on the passengers side. If you look up on the back side of the passenger side transaxle (the space between the catalytic concnverter and the transaxle housing (you can get a hand in there)) you will see a small aluminum box. That is insulation covering the speed sensor. Push up on the insulation (it moves easily) and it will reveal the speed sensor and attaching bolt. The photos in the Haynes manual show it coming out at an angle, in reality, the sensor barrel is facing straight down at you if your underneath. I haven't figured out how to get a wrench or socket on the bolt yet, but it appears to be do-able. It may take a crows foot, but since I don't have one I'll have to find another way.

Remember to save your old worm gear. The new sensor doesn't come with one.

I would have NEVER found it if I hadn't pushed up on the unsulation.

Hope that helps!"
ROCKET
By the way justanold, I was always that skinny little small handed mechanic they sent in after the hard stuff to get, you've probably had a few.

I didn't mean to sound disrespectful at all.
ROCKET
Update;
You can change out the speed sensor without removing the Y pipe. A 10mm crowfoot wrench on an 8" extension does the trick. For some, it may be necessary to remove the O2 sensor on the exhaust (it gives a good deal more clearance).
GLENN BOWERS
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

is the vehicle speed sensor on this car replaceable from above or is it necessary to jack up and replace from underneth the car. And where is the sensor located
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Your vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is located on the rear center of engine compartment, mounted on the transaxle. Try from above first.
GLENN BOWERS
Thanks I will try from above, if unable will the exhaust y pipe need to be removed for access to the sensor. Thanks again
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yes, if you can't access from above then raise and support the vehicle. Remove the exhaust "y" pipe. Remove the VSS heat shield then you can disconnect the VSS and remove the retaining bolt.
GLENN BOWERS
Thanks, it was replaceable from up above. It is a little hard but better than removing the y exhaust pipe. Did not take that long about 15 mins maybe I was just lucky but it sure beats having to jack the car and get involved in removing the exhaust pipe. Thanks again
DIPY03
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a output shaft speed sensor or vss and I need to know were it goes in the vegival I have a chilton but im not sure about it dont know the location it goes
OBXAUTOMEDIC
The Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor is located on the left rear lower side of engine compartment, on raer side of transaxle.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor is located on the rear center of engine compartment, mounted on transaxle.
BGBEVAN
1997 Taurus, 200K mi. I had the classic problem indicating a speed sensor failure. Speedo didn't work and transmission shifted hard or stuck in low gear when heated up. There are two sensors on the transmission, the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) located on the output shaft of the transaxle on the passenger side, and the Turbine Shaft Sensor(TSS) located under the exhaust manifold on the input shaft, accessible from the driver's side. I thought the VSS was bad but couldn't find it and ended up changing the TSS. This fixed my problem so my question is, which one of these sensors drives the speedometer? Both, VSS, or TSS? Most posts on this issue say to change the VSS when this problem occurs and make a vague reference to the TSS.
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, hope this helps. The VSS ontrols the Speedometer.

Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) - This may also be known as an output speed sensor (OSS). This sensor sends a varying frequency signal to the TCU to determine the current speed of the vehicle. The TCU uses this information to determine when a gear change should take place based in the various operating parameters.

Turbine speed sensor (TSS) - This may also be known as an input speed sensor (ISS). This sensor sends a varying frequency signal to the TCU to determine the current rotational speed of the input shaft or torque converter. The TCU uses the input shaft speed to determine slippage across the torque converter and potentially to determine the rate of slippage across the bands and clutches. This information is vital to regulate the application of the torque converter lock-up clutch smoothly and effectively.
BGBEVAN
Thanks obxautomedic for the quick and thorough response. This is the BEST response I have seen on this subject and really clears it up for me. I was able to get at the VSS from the drivers side of the engine with a long reach, a 10 mm socket, and a short extension. I had read numerous blogs and forums that talked about dropping exhaust pipes, jacking up the engine, taking off the tires, etc. Also, repair estimates of $200 to $750. I didn't need to disconnect anything to complete the repair. It is a little tricky because you essentially have to do it with one hand and "blind". It would take about 1/2 hour if I had to do it again and it's only the price for a new VSS module. About $16 @ NAPA. Probably $75 for a Ford OEM. I have the procedure and a few pics if anyone is interested. Think this works for a 1998-1998 Taurus. Bgbevan@earthlink. Net
+1
RUSSHARV63
  • 1993 FORD TAURUS
1993 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 94000 miles

Can you tell me where the "vehicle speed sensor" is located on my car?