LEAK DETECTION

1994 Ford Taurus

kegelmta

May, 12, 2010 AT 1:33 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1994 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 91000 miles

Have a fairly serious fc134a leak in this vehicle but am having trouble pinpointing the exact location. I have a freon leak detector that goes off like crazy around the compressor which happens to be right by a quick connect for the high pressure line. I put refrigerant with UV leak detector in it and checked for leaks at the quik connect with black light. Didn't see any evidence of leaking around the quick connect. Saw a little bit of the UV stuff on the top of the compressor. My question is: Is it likely that the compressor is leaking refrigerant? I've done several AC repair jobs but haven't run into a leaking compressor. Usually the high pressure lines, connectors or condensors are more likely to leak.

BMRFIXIT

May, 12, 2010 AT 7:30 PM

We had compressor front seal leaks check around the clutch area

if have a smoke machine use it for a clear and better way to find the leak

i found it very easy to locate a leak using the smoke verse dye and black light

kegelmta

May, 13, 2010 AT 6:38 AM

I don't like the UV leak detection method either. Poor results and it makes a mess.

Is the smoke machine you're talking about something that you squeeze and small puffs of smoke come out of it? I've seen people use those to check fume hoods. I might be able to borrow one of those.

I don't have a smoke machine but I can think of two other alternatives if I can't borrow one. 1. I can put dry ice & H2O in a container, cap container with inverted funnel and put tubing over funnel outlet and aim at compressor. 2. I could try smoking a cigarette and blow the smoke out at the compressor but I doubt I could inhale the tobacco.

Thanks for the advice.
Tom

BMRFIXIT

May, 13, 2010 AT 6:20 PM

I've never tried or used what you mentioned
and I doubt it would work you need more controlled smoke
smoke machine becoming a very important diagnose helper can be used in many application

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Air Condition Condenser Replacement
Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace
Cabin Air Filter Replacement