1992 FORD TAURUS BRAKES LOCK UP

• larson_eight
  • 1992 Ford Taurus

Brakes problem
1992 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

when i'm driving and I apply the brakes the pedal is soft at first but as I push down further I hear a breif hiss noise like air moving and then the pedal gets "hard" and by brakes grab alot more and sometimes lock up. I've taken apart the rear brakes and the drums and shoes and all hardware are ok. What else might be wrong.

Wednesday, February 20th, 2008 AT 5:48 PM

• mastertechtim

Sounds like air in the system or the shoes are way out of adjustment. Try tightening the shoes and power bleed the wheel cylinders.

Wednesday, February 20th, 2008 AT 5:53 PM
  • mastertechtim

If you do that and the pedal is still soft there are a few more steps to take. There are a few things you might not have checked. If the front hub bearing is loose, the rotor will rock and push the caliper piston in causing a low pedal until you pump it. If that is ok try crimping the brake hose in the rear and see if the brake pedal stays hard, there could be a collapsed brake hose causing this too. Let us know how you make out

Wednesday, February 20th, 2008 AT 5:57 PM