P1537 DTC

• benchwarmer4203
  • Ford Ranger

My truck is a 2001 Ford Ranger XL, 2WD with a 2.3L engine. It has 46,000 miles. My check engine light came on, so I read the code at advanced auto parts and it came back P1537. I believe this code is a "Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open" according to what I've seen on the net. After they read the code it said that no engine defaults were detected, but the code would not erase from my computer. Advanced Auto told me that it was nothing to worry about, but I guess I'm paranoid. What are some side effects to this type of error, and what could I do in the way of repair? Thanks a lot for the consideration.

Friday, March 9th, 2007 AT 3:31 PM

• CHEVYII

Hi,
the code you stated is correct imrc, what we need to do is find out if yours is cable operated or electronic, and yes this will cause several problems, if its electronic you will need a dvom to check it

lemme know

+1
Saturday, March 10th, 2007 AT 8:24 AM
  • benchwarmer4203

Is there any way you could send me some diagrams, or at least the general location of what I am looking for? I am in no means a mechanic, just an engineering student trying to avoid taking her to the garage. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Saturday, March 10th, 2007 AT 10:57 AM
  • CHEVYII

The irmrc is right on the manifold, if you look close you should see the rod peeking out of either end of the intake, follow it to the control unit and or cable

+1
Saturday, March 10th, 2007 AT 11:29 AM
  • benchwarmer4203

I believe it is cable operated. I am attempting to attach pictures so you can verify that I am correct.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/63097_100_0377_1.jpg

Saturday, March 10th, 2007 AT 12:25 PM
  • CHEVYII

Its really hard to tell from that angle check right behind the throttle body and look for a cable from your pic it would be to the left of the throttle cable and back

+1
Saturday, March 10th, 2007 AT 12:49 PM
  • benchwarmer4203

Here are a couple more pictures. I'm sorry that I'm making it so difficult to help me, I'm just not very knowledgeable.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/63097_100_0378_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/63097_100_0379_1.jpg

Saturday, March 10th, 2007 AT 3:11 PM
  • CHEVYII

Ok i found a parts listing in my software , #7 is the actuator , see the vacuum hose running to the rear of the intake , there should be an arm back there to open and close the runner , check for vacuum on that side and for binding, and its no trouble , im here to help

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/59481_Noname_9.jpg

+1
Saturday, March 10th, 2007 AT 3:46 PM
  • benchwarmer4203

The hose that goes from the actuator to the back of the intake terminates, and then there is set of electrical wires connected at the same point. Also, it feels like there is a crack in that hose when it splits from the actuator.

+1
Sunday, March 11th, 2007 AT 1:21 PM
  • CHEVYII

Ah ha, losing vacuum, put your finger over it while its running and see if its pulling vacuum, and replace that hose, just take it up to the parts store and match it up, this may be your whole problem, wouldnt that be nice a 2 dollar fix, lemme know
Jim

+1
Sunday, March 11th, 2007 AT 1:26 PM
  • benchwarmer4203

I replaced that hose, and disconnected my battery to reset the trouble code and it hasn't come back on since. You have to love a 72 cent hose fixing your problem. Thanks so much for your help.

+1
Saturday, March 24th, 2007 AT 1:08 PM