2002 Ford Ranger front end noise

DHILL88
  • 2002 FORD RANGER
Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2002 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

2002 Ranger, 62,000 miles. 32k miles when I bought it, and had an unusual noise in the (I think) front end. Sounds almost like a universal joint popping noise. Here's the really odd thing--it doesn't do it in cold weather. Only when it's warm. Seems to be coming from the steering, but really it's just hard to tell. Something you can almost feel as much as hear. Annoying, but doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Ideas? Thanks.
Thursday, November 11th, 2010 AT 6:47 AM

WRENCHTECH
The only way your going to find this type of problem is by simply examining it while someone tries to duplicate the noise. We can't decipher anything from your description of a noise.
Thursday, November 11th, 2010 AT 6:56 AM
JIMBIE
Dhill88, did you ever figure this out? I also have a 2002 Ranger that has what you describe perfecty. It's been going on for three years. I have had it in the shop three times and was told nothing was found.
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 3:09 PM
DHILL88
Local Ford dealer thinks it's ball joints and tie rod ends, as well as a loose shock. Want's $1,100 to repair, found same repair at another shop for $650, haven't done it yet so I don't know if that will fix it. Tried greasing myself (no fittings, just sprayed white lithium) with some success but not total. Hope this helps.
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 3:24 PM
JIMBIE
The last time I had it in they told me there was a little wear in the upper ball joints but they didn't need changed yet. I had them do it anyway. That seamed to help some for a while, but it's as bad as ever. I've checked the tie rod ends myself and they are OK. They were changed several years ago, prior to this starting. Strangest part about all this is that the ride and steering is unaffected. I've replaced the front shocks also. I guess I'll keep stracting my head for a while. LOL
Sunday, July 10th, 2011 AT 1:03 PM