Wipers do not work but motor runs

JENNYLYNN13
  • 2001 FORD RANGER
Six cylinder four wheel drive automatic 150,000 miles

My wipers will not work. The fuses have been replaced, the relay switches replaced, the motor runs, but no wipers. I was told that it was the linkage. How do I access the linkage? The metal piece (near the windshield, where the washer fluid comes from) does not appear to come off, is there an access point where I can get to the linkage and how do I replace it once I access it?
Thank you in advance for you help. I would rather do the job myself than take it to a garage.
Thank you.
Thursday, October 29th, 2009 AT 12:56 PM

MATHIASO
Hello jennylynn13

Cycle the windshield wiper blades until they are in the straight up position.
like this: Wiper blades in straight up position

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_like_this_1.jpg

Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Disconnect the windshield wiper motor electrical connector.
Disconnect the PCM electrical connector and position the harness aside.
Remove the RH access cover.
like this :

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_RH_access_cover_view_1.jpg

Reach through the right hand access cover opening and remove the wiper motor clip from the right hand mounting arm and pivot shaft.

like this:Wiper motor clip view

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_clips_1.jpg

Disconnect the right hand windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft from the left hand windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft, and move both away from the windshield wiper motor

it seem like the clip may be missing that is why the motor is spinning but the linkage do not turn to make the blades work.
Thursday, October 29th, 2009 AT 4:05 PM
WOODY_93@ATT.NET
  • 2001 FORD RANGER
I have checked the fuses.
Saturday, December 31st, 2016 AT 3:50 PM (Merged)
DRCRANKNWRENCH
As far as the speedometer goes check the Vehicle speed sensor on the transmission. Since the tachometer is not working as well and the door chime is not working, I am giving you the instrument cluster wiring diagram. The sensor for the door ajar starts with a switch in the door jamb probably near the lock post. Wiggle it around and make sure that the dinger does not come on if you move it. If it seems stuck or corroded, it may need replacement, also check terminal connections. It shares its wire as part of the instrument cluster harness, which starts as a black/orange wire, see the part near bottom jest left of center, follow wire to junction number eleven.
They may share a common ground so check all ground for good metal to metal, corrosion free and tight fit.

The windshield wiper does not have much to do with any of the instruments other than it may share a common grounds. Ground are denoted by a wire terminating into an arrowhead and tagged with a capital, "G" followed by an number. Compare the two wiring diagrams as I have given you the windshield wiper as well. Check all grounds for wiper even if they are not shared as the switch failing is a common problem on trucks with the age and mileage you have.
LUIGICAUCCI
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
Okay, here it is I just recently noticed my ajar door light on and my dome light/overhead light would not close so to save power I went to open the dome light with a screwdriver and it slipped causing me to receive a minor shock but all this in now my speedometer does not work nor does my windshield wipers. I cannot seem to find what the problem is?
YEKNOMUSMC
  • 2004 FORD RANGER
Six cylinder two wheel drive automatic 30,000 miles

I installed an aftermarket CD player in my truck and my CD player, dash lights, power windows, and windshield wipers do not work, and I have changed all the blown fuses. What could be the problem?