SPUTTERS AND BACKFIRES WHEN ACCELERATOR IS

2001 Ford Ranger

moderndrummer98

2001 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 117000 miles

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 2.3L. My truck idles fine, but when it's going down the road it sputters and backfires some. It only does it if I really press the gas pedal down, it does fine if I ease into it. I have already changed the fuel filter. Could this be some water in the gas? Or do I need to have some servicing done to it? Sometimes the " check guages" light flashes (NOT the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT)when it sputters, but all guages read normal. I'm puzzled on this, anybody have some suggestions?

January, 8, 2009 AT 9:39 AM

If you're refering the check gauge as the check engine light you need to have the computer scanned for OBD2 code/s and comeback with it in order for us to help.

moderndrummer98

The check engine light does NOT come on, only the check guages light. And it only does it some of the time. If this helps any. Thanks.

Check the fuel pressure and also have the computer scanned for code/s could be something in there that's not popping a code

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Fuel Pump Pressure Test