This is what should be done
CAUTION:DO NOT rotate crankshaft or camshaft during removal or installation of synchronizer or fuel system will become out of time with engine and may cause engine damage.
NOTE: Before proceeding, rotate crankshaft until cylinder No. 1 is at Top Dead Center (TDC) of compression stroke and TDC mark lines up with timing mark.
CAMSHAFT POSITION SYNCHRONIZER (3.0L)
1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Note position of CMP sensor electrical connector. Remove CMP sensor. See REMOVAL & INSTALLATION (3.0L) under CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. 2. Apply reference marks on camshaft synchronizer assembly and engine. Remove camshaft synchronizer assembly hold-down bolt and clamp. Remove camshaft synchronizer assembly. Oil pump drive shaft may come out with synchronizer. If so, retrieve oil pump driveshaft before proceeding.
1. Install Synchro Positioner (303-589) on camshaft synchronizer assembly (CMP sensor removed).
Turn camshaft synchronizer shaft clockwise until tool boss engages with notch in camshaft synchronizer assembly. Tool should fit squarely in top of camshaft synchronizer assembly.
NOTE: Coat camshaft synchronizer gear with engine oil prior to installation. Failure to do so, may result in gear failure.
2. Ensure piston No. 1 is in TDC position on compression stroke. Install oil pump drive shaft in camshaft synchronizer assembly. Lubricate camshaft synchronizer gear with engine oil.
NOTE: During installation, arrow on synchro positioner will rotate clockwise until oil pump intermediate shaft and camshaft gear engage.
3. Insert camshaft synchronizer assembly into engine. When camshaft synchronizer is installed into engine, synchro positioner should point 38 degrees from centerline of engine.
4. If arrow on synchro positioner is not pointing 38 degrees from centerline of engine, remove camshaft synchronizer assembly and return to step 2. If camshaft synchronizer is pointing 38 degrees from centerline of engine, remove synchro positioner and go to next step.
5. Install camshaft synchronizer hold-down clamp bolt and tighten to specification.
Install CMP sensor and tighten bolts to specification. Connect CMP sensor harness connector and negative battery cable.
Please consider a to help us answer more questions.
Thursday, August 21st, 2008 AT 7:14 PM