2000 Ford Ranger Creaking sound when put in gear.

• 2000 FORD RANGER

Noises problem
2000 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 35000 miles

When I put the truck in any gear, from neutral or park, I hear a short creak/grind sound coming from the rear of the drivetrain. Also, on the freeway there is a subtle surging effect that I can feel. There was a day about 2 months ago that I went to put it in reverse and it would not engage in any gear for about 5 minutes when it slammed into gear and has worked fine until yesterday on the freeway when I noticed the surging. I then had help to listen to the creak sound. We have a slight incline to our driveway that is enough to roll a car down very easily, we have been parking the truck on the incline with the parking brake on, and front of the truck pointing up the slope. Is this a bad thing? Will it cause damage to gears?

Monday, July 28th, 2008 AT 4:28 PM

Thank you for the donations.

No worries about the parked position, but maybe you need to check the fluid level. With the vehicle on an incline, the fluid might be slow to response if its level is low as the pump would have difficulty getting to it.

As to the creaking noise, I suspect it is coming from the U-joints, so you need to check the propeller shafts.

Wednesday, July 30th, 2008 AT 8:07 PM