1999 Ford Ranger Wont Go in Reverse

TOM WALSH
  • 1999 FORD RANGER

1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

My 1999 Ford Ranger will not go in reverse. It seems to be running fine in drive. I have never had a problem with the transmission before this happened two days ago. I checked the transmission fluid level cold and after running at normal operating temperature. Fluid levels were within normal levels according to the operator's manual. The fluid is not dirty and is still red. I had the transmission fluid changed about three years ago at about 90000 miles. It was pretty dirty before it was changed. Please let me know if you can help me. Thanks.

Sunday, May 16th, 2010 AT 8:34 PM

KHLOW2008

Hi Tom Walsh,

Thank you for the donation.

Get a scan done to check for trouble codes and let me know the exact code if any found.

-2
Monday, May 17th, 2010 AT 1:58 PM
TOM WALSH

I took the truck to an auto parts store that does free diagnostic tests, but since there was no "check engine" light or any other warning lights displayed, they could not do a test. The guy at the store said since there were no warning lights, the problem might be something like a cable connection. Any ideas? I'm getting tired of looking for hills so I can use gravity to go backwards. Thanks.

-1
Tuesday, May 18th, 2010 AT 12:14 PM
KHLOW2008

Even when the CEL is not indicating, trouble codes could still be recorded in the PCM.

What is your engine capacity and transmission model code?
Are any of the other gears not working correctly?

-2
Tuesday, May 18th, 2010 AT 12:55 PM
TOM WALSH

It is a 3.0L V6. Don't know what the transmission model code is. Where would I find it? What letters or numbers would the code start with? All the forward gears work normally.

-1
Tuesday, May 18th, 2010 AT 2:42 PM
KHLOW2008

The engine capacity indicates the trans model is 4R44E.

As no diagnostic codes are present, the problem is most likely to be mechanical.

No Reverse Gears
Check the following:
1. Fluid level,
2. Shift linkage,
3. Low line control pressure,
4. Filter assembly (plugged),
5. Valve body (sticking valves),
6. Incorrectly tightened valve body bolts (cross-leaks),
7. Low-reverse servo (piston seal leaking),
8. Direct and low-reverse clutch/band assemblies.

+1
Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 2:38 PM
MICBEN123
  • FORD RANGER
  • MERGED

Thanks for taking my question. I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder/2 wheel drive with 86,000 miles on it. I got up one morning to go to work and the truck would not move after placing it in drive. I then placed it in reverse. Nothing. I pushed the overdrive button to the off position and it runs through the gears fine, minus the OD of course but still have no reverse. I've heard everything from a rebuild to relays. Can you help?

Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 3:55 PM
2CARPROS KEN
  • MERGED

Hey MICBEN123,

Yes this is a classic transmission internal seal problem, as soon as the engine and transmission get a little warmer it starts working, but it will stop again once it cools down.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 3:55 PM
2CARPROS KEN
  • MERGED

Hey,

Did you ever get the problem fixed?

Best, Ken

Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 3:55 PM
STANGMAN01
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
  • MERGED

I JUST REBUILT A FORD 4R44E IN A 4X4 RANGER 3.0L, THE TRANS HAD STARTED SLIPPING FWD AND REVERSE & FLUID WAS BURNT. UPON DISASSEMBLY I FOUND THAT THE O/D CLUTCHES WELDED TOGETHER & O/D BAND WORN THIN, & VALVE BODY GASKETS BLOWN OUT. AFTER A THOROUGH DISASSEMBLY, CLEAN, & REBUILD KIT WITH BANDS, EPC, REVERSE BAND NOT CHANGED(LOOKED GOOD). RESULT, NO TO LITTLE SLIPPING REVERSE, FORWARD WAS OK SO I INSTALLED A TRANSTAR SHIFT IMPROVER KIT, REVERSE SERVO EXTENSION, & SONNAX VALVE BODY END PLUG KIT. NOW SLIPPING FORWARD & REVERSE. CAN YOU PLEASE SUGGEST A NEXT STEP B/C I AM STUMPED.

Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 3:55 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

Everything was good till you installed the trans star valve body kit plus sonnax upgrade?

Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 3:55 PM