1999 Ford Ranger Tranny won't engage when shifted - no gear

BENCAMEL
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 107k miles

Started a little rough or weak and wasn't the battery, started fine many times afterwards. When shifted into R, N, D, 3, 2, 1, nothing happens. Disconnected battery to reset computer with no results.

No indications leading up to this - I did give someone a jump start the previous day, but cranked and drove perfectly the next day, and then had the problem at the end of the day.
Saturday, May 3rd, 2008 AT 5:27 PM

JACK42
Be sure the shifter cable is working and hasnt broken somewhere in the housing. Does the shifter feel like it is working, like it is actually moving something or does it feel "floppy"?
Monday, May 5th, 2008 AT 5:15 PM
BENCAMEL
Thanks much for the response!

No, the cable is intact - I got a friend to shift it while I looked at the connected linkage on the top of the tranny and everything is operational.

Any other ideas?

I also checked the wiring harness located closest to the linkage and it was clean and dry when I disconnected it to have a look.
-1
Monday, May 5th, 2008 AT 9:12 PM
JACK42
Fluid level is good? This may be a bad coincidince. Actual engagement of the trans is a mechanical operation, not solenoid driven. If it doesnt do anything in any gear, may be time for a trans shop
Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 AT 7:34 AM
BENCAMEL
Ouch. Fluid level is the only thing I haven't checked. Only because I haven't seen any signs of a leak and have checked it in the last few weeks.

The truck is stranded at my jobsite, so I'll check that tomorrow, no chance of anything electrical or computer oriented that would prevent engaging in forward or reverse gears? BTW, it does disengage and reengage in park.

Many, many thanks for your responses.
Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 AT 9:38 PM
JACK42
Not really. The initial engagement of D and R are mechanical/hydraulic. The shifting and shift quality are controlled by the electronics
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 AT 7:33 AM
BENCAMEL
The fluid was fine as a I suspected.

Thanks for your responses
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 AT 9:20 PM
BENCAMEL
Is there a chance that some mechanical linkage (not visible from outside the tranny) snapped?
Friday, May 9th, 2008 AT 2:12 PM
JACK42
I guess it is possible, but if you have Park, it would seem that the internal parts are working as far as the shifter goes. You dont really have anything to lose, drop the pan and look in there to see if you can see something broken
Saturday, May 10th, 2008 AT 8:25 AM
BENCAMEL
Just to follow up on this problem for anyone who experiences something similar;

I had it towed to a local transmission shop and with an initial guess-timate they think it is a broken hydraulic pump, and will cost somewhere between $2,000 and $2,500.

Will let you know further once all is done.
Saturday, May 10th, 2008 AT 8:39 PM
JACK42
Thx, I was afraid of that
Sunday, May 11th, 2008 AT 8:49 AM