1997 Ford Ranger high idle

RIVER88
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
97 ford ranger starts and drives fine except when I coast to a stop the idle stays revved up a bit, then when I come to a full stop it settles down to normal. I'll take off, go to shift and the engine revvs up some, i'll shift gears, let out the clutch and the truck sort of lunges a little bit. It revs and idles high then settles down to normal again.
No engine light has come on.
I'v looked under the hood for loose hoses, clamps etc. Don't see anything noticible.
Read online about the EGR valve, oxygen sensor, Idle speed control motor and have identified all of those componens but I don't know what exactly they do or if
any of them need to be replaced.
Appreciate any help
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 4:04 PM

Inspect and test the idle air speed control motor/valve and throttle position sensor
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 4:25 PM
RIVER88
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Since there was no check engine or code thrown I figured it might be mechanical.
I started the diagnosis with simple tune-up procedures.
Changed all the spark plugs and that solved the problem.
Now. Runs like normal.
Thanks for the timely and good ideas!
Friday, November 7th, 2008 AT 2:00 PM
FIRENUT119
My '96 ranger has similar problems. The idle willl jump to 4000-6000 RPM while in nuetral, or with the clutch disengaged. The only way to bring the RPM down is to lug the engine or fry the clutch. Any other advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks
+2
Sunday, December 7th, 2008 AT 3:31 PM
RIVER88
I don't know alot but i'll tell you what worked in my case.
If you have a check engine light, hook up a computer reader and identify the code. That should point you in the right direction. Mine had no "check engine" light, so I started with simple tune up stuff. All I did is change my spark plugs. A smarter guy than me told me if the plugs are worn out then the truck has to enrich it's fire/fuel mixture at idle to stay running. My plugs were 30,000 miles old and it worked like a charm. Consider changing the plugs & look at the tips & wire ends for corrosion, (white or green powder.) If mine still ran rough I would have moved on & changed the plug wires & fuel filter.
Let me know how it turns out.
River
Monday, December 8th, 2008 AT 11:40 AM
FIRENUT119
Thaks for some direction. I started with a tip from a buddy, and removed the throttle body and upper intake, cleaned them out really well, replaced the gaskets and reassembled. While I was at it, I replaced the EGR valve and this seemed to DRASTICALLY improve the performance. IMy next move is to actually buy a code reader, and tackle the other issues one at a time. I will most definitley be doing the tune up, and replaceing all parts as needed. Again thanks for the time to reply!
+1
Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 5:13 PM