1996 Ford Ranger camshaft sensor

FOXMANDUDE
  • 1996 FORD RANGER
Im not getting any power to my camshaft sensor. I replaced the sensor and checked my wiring. Everything is looking good. I tested the wires and im not getting any power to to the sensor. I do get power to my coil pack, but when I fire the truck up, I don't get any spark. Is my PCM busted and need to replace it? I am completely puzzled. Please help.
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 7:44 PM

BILLYMAC
Hi are you saying that the truck will run. Your post said when you fire the truck you are getting no spark?
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 8:58 PM
FOXMANDUDE
It will not run. Im getting no spark when I turn the truck over, but im getting power to my coil pack. When the camshaft sensor doesn't send out a signal, the coil pack doesn't fire and the injectors don't release fuel. I need to know when my cam sensor isn't recieving any power. Its not getting any power right from the PCM, so is there a way to bypass the PCM to see if that is the problem?
Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 7:10 AM
BILLYMAC
When you crank the engine watch your tach is it moving while cranking. I would suspect the crank sensor
Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 4:32 PM
FOXMANDUDE
I don't have a tach. I hooked the truck up to a diagnostic tool and the only code that came up was for the cam sensor.
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 12:20 AM
BILLYMAC
I see your dillima' but the gets only a 5 volt ref from the crank shaft sensor. You have to test while cranking for a 5 volt ref sig if it is recieving that signal crank sensor is working then you have a bad cam sensor there is always a possibility that the ecm has failed but you have to pinpoint first where the failure is

the camshaft sensor tells the pcm and other controls when the eng is at top dead center and which injector and coil to fire. Your post say's you have no spark at all
no injector pulse. You possibly have a eec relay failed

this will be the brown relay at your relay panel. Jump that relay and see if it fires the injectors
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 6:56 PM