1994 Ford Ranger my engine RPMs drop while driving

MR TOGUE
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
My 1994 ford ranger is a great truck I am very satisfied with it how ever recently its been acting a little strange while driving. My rpms is usually around 2k in 5th gear while driving around 65mph. All of a sudden its like hlaf the engine shuts off. My rpms drop to 1k and the engine feels like its stuttering. Some times it comes out of it within a few mins other times it takes over a hour there is no warning that its going to happen and no warning that it will come out of it. My truck has high mileage but its been a very dependable truck, I checked the spark plug wires and spark plugs there doesnt appear to be any thing wrong, I have the engine that has 8 spark plugs but is a 4 cylinder engine. I am assuming it might be the power packs (no distributor) but I cant seem to get the idea out of my head that it might be one of the fuel enjectors ( I am not fuel enjected smart so this is a guess) as for the power packs I always thought they were either good or they were bad. There was no inbetween issues I really think driving the truck when its misbehaving is hurting my engine but its my only vehicle and I have to drive it seeing I dont know when it will happen or what causes it I cant decide what I should do. Any suggestions on what might be happening?
Thursday, February 11th, 2010 AT 10:54 PM

JACK42
Has it ever caused the check engine light to come on?If so have the computer scanned to see what codes are in it, this may point us in the right direction for the fix. You may be losing one of the coil packs or one side of the coil pack which can cause loss of power. The coils are more likely to be heat sensitive when they fail than most other parts. At 200k you should be on your second set of plugs and wires at minumum. Have you replaced the fuel filter recently?
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 7:55 AM
MR TOGUE
Yes the engine light does come on but when the the engine comes out of its misbehaving the light goes out. I am on my second set of plugs and as for the plug pack ( power pack ) being heat sensitve I am not sure because some times this behavor is right after I start the car to some times hours after the truck has been running ( I drive aprox 4 hours to my friends house 1 to 2 times a month). Does fuel enjectors control more then one cylinder or is it a one to one ratio ( one enjector to one cylinder) if some thing was in the gas line system, could it be blocking the flow and in effect cutting the gass flow to half my engine?
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 10:57 AM
JACK42
Yes there is an injector for each cylinder, if it was fuel related it may just bog theentire engine down, not just half of it. That is why I suggested the coil pack, those are wired internally in pairs (2, 3 - 1, 4) so if half of it goes away it can affect 2 cylinders
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 5:04 PM
MR TOGUE
I am thinking u are right. What u say about the coil pack sounds totally logical, half my engine doesnt seem to be running when this happens. ( Thus the drop in the rpms by exactly 1/2 of what it was ) I think I am going to have to put it in the shop so it can be hooked to the computer to figure out which side is going bad. Boy I have to admit I miss the good old days when we normal every day people with normal tools could tinker with our cars.

So guys thanks for your help. Guess over time is gonna have to be in the works to pay the garage bill.
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 7:31 PM
JACK42
Yeah, they are definitly more complicated than they used to be. Sometimes they are hard to fix even with the right tools
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 8:39 PM