1994 Ford Ranger erratic power loss

D457338
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
The truck would have low power and would just kick in and accelerate hard. Usually kicked in@around 45mph. I cleaned the MAF and the problem stopped. A few weeks later I took the truck on a road trip and the problem started again but became much worse to the point that the truck totally lost power, as in no acceleration as if my foot was off the pedal. It idles decently, not erratic. MAF crap out?
Saturday, April 24th, 2010 AT 10:42 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi d457338,

Thank you for the donation.

Symptom do indicate apossible fault with the MAF and its circuit. A faulty O2 sensor can cause the problem as well.

Is the Check Engine Light indicating and did you try to retrieve for trouble codes?

Since cleaning the MAF did the job once, get it cleaned again and recheck the wire connector to ensure that it is clean and secure.
Check the air hose between the MAF and throttle body for leakages. Look out for signs of cracks on the hose.
+2
Saturday, April 24th, 2010 AT 11:21 PM
D457338
The check engine light will come on. I changed out 1 o2 sensor and the fuel filter and re-cleaned the MAF sensor. I made an attempt to pull the codes but couldn't find the connections per Haynes manual. Also checked for possible vacuum leaks.
-1
Saturday, April 24th, 2010 AT 11:35 PM
KHLOW2008
The DLC is located at right front inner fender panel.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_DLC94RangerFig04_1.jpg

+2
Sunday, April 25th, 2010 AT 5:25 AM
D457338
In the Haynes manual there are two plugs to check codes. Only one can be located (the smaller one) the larger one pictured in the manual is no where.

I just replaced the MAF sensor and it did improve slightly. Still periodically losing power but less frequently. But still a constant drag on the acceleration though.
Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 1:05 PM
KHLOW2008
Is the CEL still showing after replacement of the MAF?

I am not able to get any additional information on the DLC and no diagrams to show too.

I am having difficulty accessing our database so I will try to get assistance from my fellow colleagues who might be able to get additional info for you.
-1
Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 AT 9:03 AM
D457338
I Replaced o2 sensors, MAF sensor, and fuel filter. Fuel pressure was tested and is fine. No help. All plugs extremely fouled. Codes were pulled and said something about MAF sensor which we replaced. I found a thread on another forum where someone had unplugged the MAF sensor and it defaults the vehicle to factory settings. Now the truck runs hella better but not good, its driveable now sometimes it will idle low and stall out. But full power. Im guessing this means there is indeed a problem somewhere in the MAF system? I highly doubt the new MAF sensor is bad, I dont even think the old one was bad. What else could it be? The cables?

Thanks.
+1
Wednesday, May 12th, 2010 AT 5:13 PM
KHLOW2008
Check the MAF and PCM terminals for contaminations and/or looseness.

Ensure there are no vacumn leakages between the MAF and the throttle body.

Check the PCV valve. A bad PCV valve would allow vacum leakages.
+1
Wednesday, May 12th, 2010 AT 5:21 PM