1987 Ford Ranger Estimate costs for front end repair.

AXLEMAN94
  • 1987 FORD RANGER
I need to know what the cheapest way to replace 3 u-joints, and 4 ball joints in my 1987 Ford ranger, 2.9 V6, 4WD. How hard will it be to replace it myself?
Friday, February 26th, 2010 AT 12:00 PM

SCOTTY DEE
U-joints are not that hard to replace if you have done some before, not damaging the yokes can be a trial for a novice. Ball joints can be a wrestling match at times. It's not a job you'll want to do for the first time at home.

In the long run you'll be better off having a repair shop, or a tech who does work on the side after hours do this for you. Are you comfortable taking this on?

If so, I give you the information you'll need.
Friday, February 26th, 2010 AT 4:26 PM
AXLEMAN94
Honestly im not comfortable doing it myself, but I am limited on cash, and need it done fairly soon.
Friday, February 26th, 2010 AT 6:02 PM
SCOTTY DEE
Okay then, let's work with what we have. Have you personally seen the movement in the ball joints? What exactly is up with the drive shaft? Did a shop look at it and give you an estimate with a vague explanation?
Friday, February 26th, 2010 AT 6:07 PM
AXLEMAN94
Okay, the left front u joint is broken, and I had an estimate done on that which was fine, but then I was told that they all would have similar wear which conv=vincedme to have them all replaced, and while I was having that estimates they told me that is would be a good idea to replace the ball joints since they would just be a couple of bolts away, im not sure I have the tools requires.
Friday, February 26th, 2010 AT 6:12 PM
SCOTTY DEE
If you had the money it would be a good idea. But when things are tight it's a very bad idea. Have the left front u-joint replaced and nothing else. Also, when it's in the shop, have them show YOU, the play in the ball joints so you'll know where you stand.

I gave the website a donation on your behalf, now you can give me feedback.
Friday, February 26th, 2010 AT 6:19 PM