1987 Other Ford Models engine control module wiring relay

LARRY62882
  • 1987 FORD

1987 Other Ford Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 87,000 miles

I just bought this car its a 1987 merkur xr4ti 2.3 liter turbo. Car sat in storage for 5 years went to buy it the owner said fule pump was out so I replaced it the ignition key switch has been pop out lost keys car cranks but no juice going to any fuel pumps lights or anything works. Any idea were to start. Also was wanting to know were the engine control module wiring relay is located at on this car. Hope you can help me ty larry

Friday, March 26th, 2010 AT 8:56 PM

RACEFAN966

Ok so do you have power to anything when you turn the key on? Will it try to crank at all?

Monday, March 29th, 2010 AT 9:30 AM
LARRY62882

YES THE MOTOR CRANKS OVER BUT NO POWER TO ANY THING. EXCEPT PARKING LIGHTS AND LICEN. PLATE LIGHT AND A FEW LIGHTS ON DASH LIKE WASHER FLUID COOLANT LIGHT. AND ALSO NO POWER TO ELECTRIC WINDOWS OR HEATED SEAT.

Tuesday, March 30th, 2010 AT 10:22 PM
RACEFAN966

OK lets start with tying to get power. Now near the battery off the positive cable there is a couple of fuse links make sure that they are good and not burnt. So the battery cable goes to the starter relay and off the starter relay there is a brown wire and green wire those are the wires with the fuse links that I would like you to check. Let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 10:01 AM
LARRY62882

Ok I checked the fuse links and there good

Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 10:46 AM
RACEFAN966

Ok near the battery there is a solenoid (see pic). I need you to check it for power. Now the battery cable from the battery (+) side goes to it should have power now there should be no power to the other side. Now I need you to crank it over and see if there is power to the other side and check the S term and then check the I term. Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_51047_2.jpg

Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 9:53 AM
LARRY62882

OK THE SOLENOID I HAVE ON CAR ONLY HAS 1 WORE THAT PUSHES ON WITH 2 BIG WIRES THAT BOLT ON 1 FROM BATTERY AND 1 GROUND.

Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 9:40 PM
RACEFAN966

Ok if you would include pic as that is now how it should be it grounds through the base. Should be wired as such. Battery to solenoid (large post). Ignition switch to solenoid (large post on battery side). Solenoid to start (other large post). Ignition switch to neutral saftey switch to solenoid (small post). Base is ground. This is according to the wiring diagram for you car. So what I would like to know is if there is power to the small post when you try to crank it over. Let me know what you have there. Thanks.

Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 9:32 AM
LARRY62882

Ok yes it has power to the small wire and the other big terminal is hot all the time when I crank it over have power to all wires that hook up to solenoid they are all hot small wire is hot when cranked ty larry

Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 6:27 PM
RACEFAN966

So I take it that it is cranking over now but still not starting? If this is correct then if you would remove a spark plug wire from a spark plug and put a philips screw driver in the end and put it near metal (valve cover) and crank it over and see if there is spark.

Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 AT 9:27 AM
LARRY62882

The car has always cranked over but im not getting any power to fuel pumps threw the wires I have by passed the fuel reset switch was hoping it was that but it wasnt there is no power coming from fuse panel when I use a test light on the wire that goes to fuel pumps and dead I have replace the relays but still nothing could it be the ecc or the fuse panel its self?
Ty larry

Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 AT 10:40 AM