SLUGGISH ENGINE SEEMS TO NOT BE GETTING GAS

• DCStang65
  • FORD MUSTANG

I have a 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, 54K miles on a rebuilt 302 V8 that recently had a good amount of work done on it. Rebuilt power steering. Reinstalled exhaust (had Purple Hornies). Tune up. Among others.

Since I got it back, I have had the same problem a few times. I start up the car and it idles roughly for a bit and then seems to steady out. When I drop it into gear (auto transmission) and put on the gas, it starts and stops and acts really sluggish. I put on the gas at all and it either lurches or outright stalls.

I have had the jets on the carb adjusted twice. It does have a non-stock air filter on it. I did find that the butterfly valve on the top of the carb was sticking and adjusted a pin to allow it to move freely.

I'm at a loss. As my option at this point is to take it back into the shop for more exploratory surgery.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

Monday, September 24th, 2007 AT 9:52 PM

• Rasmataz

Check the distributor contact point dwell angle or its gap to include the condenser

When the last time you gave it a major tune-up?

Tuesday, September 25th, 2007 AT 5:23 AM
  • DCStang65

Last major tune-up was about a month ago.

This has been a sporadic issue. Mechanic said it could be the jet adjustment on the carb.

Wednesday, September 26th, 2007 AT 10:25 AM