BRAKE LIGHT SENSOR

2001 Ford Mustang

sharkbite1315

Brakes problem
2001 Ford Mustang 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 136000 miles

I purchased my car yesterday and noticed the brake lights were not working and I went to the parts store and was told to set the cruise and then press the brake and if it did not disengage the cruise control then it was the brake light sensor. Well this was the case and I bought the part. When I went to replace it I noticed there was a female end not connected so I connected it to the original brake light sensor and the brake lights now worked. However when I put the key in the ignition and pressed in the clutch so I could crank the car the clutch engaged the starter and started the car like I was turning the key which I was not. I have no idea what this could be please help!

bluelightnin6

It sounds like whoever you bought this vehicle off of knew about this issue, which is why the brake light switch was unplugged. There is obviously a short in the wiring somewhere. You may want to go back to the previous owner and talk to them about. Otherwise, you will have to use a meter and test the wiring to the switch.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com !

Dave H

You need to check the ignition switch is not faulty ? it must be supplying a hot feed to clutch pedal position switch at all times .. so when you put your foot on the clutch it completes the connection to starter relay and then starter motor .. ?

IGNITION SWITCH
Disconnect ignition switch harness connector. With ignition switch in appropriate position, check continuity between specified terminals. See IGNITION SWITCH CONTINUITY table. See Fig. 7 . If continuity is not as specified, replace ignition switch. See REMOVAL & INSTALLATION .
IGNITION SWITCH CONTINUITY
Switch Position........Continuity Between Terminals
Accessory...........................A1 & B5
Run..............................A1 & B1; A2 & B2;
................................ A3 &.B3; A4 & B4; B5 & I1
Start..............................B4 & STA; B5 & I1

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_start2_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_start_1.jpg

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz