Radiator fan not working?

JADELEON
  • 1999 FORD MUSTANG
Engine Cooling problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 107000 miles

How do I check to see if my 99 mustang radiator fan is working? I had the car running with heater at full blast for at least 20 minutes but the fan did not turn on. Another problem is with the ac. It cools but every time the car comes to a stop the air goes from cold to warm. As I continue traveling the air turns cold but at every light or stop, it goes back to warm air.
Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008 AT 10:29 PM

KEN
It does sound like you have a radiator fan that is not working. While the air conditioner is on lets use a test light to probe the wires of the fan to see if it is getting power. Here is a guide to help you get the job done.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and if it is getting power and not working the fan motor has gone bad and needs replacement.

Here is a guide that will give you an idea of what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-electric-fan-motor

Please let us know what happens and upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, September 21st, 2017 AT 3:08 PM
WANDAFLEMING
  • 1999 FORD MUSTANG
Thought car was low on coolant, because heat not working properly, so I added coolant, heat was very slow to work, antifreeze spilled out thru bottom of car, couln't find any leaks, fan not working
Thursday, August 6th, 2020 AT 10:32 AM (Merged)
If the antifreeze is pouring out, you need to fix the leak first. Gasket somewhere, hose of some kind, freeze plug, water pump, just to name a few possible issues.
MBROWN2719
  • 1998 FORD MUSTANG
We had a mobile mechanic come out to check the car over. He said the cooling fan needs to be replaced after he started the car with the A/C on and the fan did not come on. I tried it myself after he left and it did come on for about four or five minutes. Without buying all the special testers, how can I find out if it is indeed the fan or a fuse, relay, wiring, etc?

A little more detail, because some things I have read via Google asked about the A/C. The A/C did cool when I tested the car, but it smoked and sprayed a green fluid under the air intake hose (it looked like anti-freeze) and I was told it was refrigerant dye to find an A/C leak and the guy I bought the car from unplugged the A/C wire at the compressor. Since then, no smoke. The mobile mechanic connected the wire again for the test and left it connected.

So back to the question at hand. How can I find out if the fan is bad or if it is a fuse, a relay, the wires, or whatever without the tools of the trade (computers)?
Thursday, August 6th, 2020 AT 10:33 AM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Good afternoon.

You will need a digital voltmeter and a test light, wiring diagram and some guidance in the diagnostics.

Let me get a diagram.

MUSTANG1998
  • 1998 FORD MUSTANG
  • RWD
The radiator cooling fan stopped working and caused my car to overheat the other day leaving me stranded two hours from home.I was wondering what a good estimate to get it fixed is at the average shop.
Check locally as prices vary all over there is a few things you can do as well though check items in pic you may not be able toremove the relay however so it will need to be scanned if not. Then check engine coolant temp switch for resistance see pics
-1
BANJOBOB1200
  • 1997 FORD MUSTANG
You guys helped me get my A/C operating with nice cold air. However, my cooling fan isn't coming on. Went through dx process found on my. Streetonline by John Huff. Points to CCRM. Tested ect, okay. Jumped fan, okay. Re-seated and cleaned ground straps. Voltage to CCRM, okay. No voltage at fan, no voltage from CCRM to fan (back-probed wire harness). CCRM is re-manufactured and original pn label is missing. Re-manufactured label on is 3-70029 and calibration code is 08130S. Can I use the VIN to order the correct pn number? Thanks.
4DRTOM

The control module probably isn't the issue it's probably the relay, the sensor or a fuse. Have you checked those yet?
Tom
BANJOBOB1200
Relay is in the CCRM isn't it? Checked sensor by watching resistance change as the engine heated it-it's also getting voltage to and from sensor. Fuse was 1st thing I checked. With voltage into CCRM but no voltage at fan outlet from CCRM or at connection to fan. I think it is the fan relay in the CCRM. Is there another fan relay I am missing? If so where and I'll check that. Also, will the VIN ensure I can get a correct part number for a CCRM?
KEN
Here is the wiring diagrams for the cooling fan so you can see how the system works and the fuse locations as well with a guide to help you test the fuse. Check for power at fan fuse #60 also check the ground at the black/white wire.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
BANJOBOB1200
Thanks for the info. The diagram of the battery junction box is not like mine. However my fan 60 amp fuse is good with voltage on both sides. Checked voltages into CCRM and they're good. No voltage out to fan. One side of high pressure switch (blue/yellow) has voltage with A/C on. Do you have to evacuate the system to remove and test the high pressure switch? Also, high side pressure climbed to around 430 before compressor turned off. All else points to CCRM according to dx procedures done previously. Any suggestions?
KEN
Did you check the ground as well? If so it sounds like you have a bad CCRM. I would try another unit. Let us know how it goes. Also try to ground the dark blue wire to see if the fan comes on.
BANJOBOB1200
I cleaned the grounding straps from frame to engine. Is the dark blue wire you mention one of the wires for the high pressure switch? My high press switch had blue/yellow and green with another color stripe. Thanks.
BANJOBOB1200
Ken, ASEMaster6371, sent a rockauto part number for a?Fuel pressure assembly? My 're-manufactured' CCRM only has a re-manufactured label with pn 3-70029, cal#08130S. My VIN is: 1FALP4047VF109858. Can you find the correct CCRM pn or can rock auto use those numbers to cross-reference the correct pn?
KEN
The dark blue is the trigger from the ECM. Get the new unit from Rock auto they have good parts. Let us know what happens.
Thursday, August 6th, 2020 AT 10:34 AM (Merged)
BANJOBOB1200
Hey Ken, got the CCRM from rock auto, installed it and the fan is working great! Thanks!
KEN
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.
KPHOGAN89
  • 1997 FORD MUSTANG
I have a 97 mustang cobra and the cooling fan is not coming on. I cant find the relay for the fan. It works when I turn on the a/c but nothing for hot temp. New radiator, thermostat, and temp sensor.
MERLIN2021
You may need to test a dew circuits in the CCRM(Constant Control Relay Module) Under the hood, Can be a blown fuse link, or fuse.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_CCRMa_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_CCRMd_1.jpg

Sponsored links