ENGINE COOLING PROBLEM1995 FORD MUSTANG 6 CYL ...

1995 Ford Mustang

CareyB89

April, 12, 2008 AT 9:37 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Ford Mustang 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150, 00 miles

The start of my car problems started last week. The engine was clearly misfireing when started. After running rough for a few minutes it would level out and run normally. I also started to notice smoke coming from the exhaust. To begin with there was quit a lot but eventually to stopped. This went on for a few days- note that the oil and anti freeze are both fine. This morning I started it and it ran fine without any smoke. As I drove it for about 10 minutes the heat started to climb, so I turned the heater on (theory being that if you blow the heat away from the motor it will cool it off) this did help. The next time I drove it-an hour later- the heat started to climb almost immediately. I turned the heat on but it was blowing cold air, it would switch back and forth from cold air to hot. When hot air was blowing the temp would go back down? Do you have any ideas on what this might be?

merlin2021

April, 13, 2008 AT 7:23 AM

Check the coolant level, the first thing you loose is heat when it's low! Then check the fans for proper operation, and the thermostat. The smoking condition should be checked out too, if the smoke is white, you are burning antifreeze, blue will be oil and black, running too rich, burning off extra gas! Or do a block test, about 50.00, this will tell you if there are exhaust fumes in the antifreeze. In that case probably the head or head gasket!

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230