BONNET LATCH

2002 Ford Maverick

Condict1

September, 15, 2009 AT 9:28 AM

PROBLEM
2002 Ford Maverick 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 67000 miles

I have been trying to open my bonnet. I never had a problem before. The book states that you pull the
lever on the inside to lift bonnet just enough to put your hand in to lift the latch in the centre. The problem is that I cannot move the latch and wonder what the problem could be!

Hood Latch

Hood Latch

1 ANSWER

danauthier

September, 15, 2009 AT 9:51 AM

Best guess is the latch is rusted and not working freely. Try having someone assist you by pressing down with their hands on the front of the bonnet while you pull on the handle. You assistant may even have to push & let up (pump) on the front of the bonnet while you pull and release the handle several times to get the latch to come free. This may take consideral effort to pull the handle, just be carefull not to excert enough force that you break the handle.
Once you get the latch to release, lubricate the latch and cable with a good quality penertating oil.
Let me know if this helps.
Dan

Hood Latch Stuck Closed
Hood Shock Replacement - Rear Porsche
Open Hood Video
Wiper Blade Replacement Acura MDX
Wiper Blade Replacement Scion XD