FORD FOCUS

• shanep75
  • Ford Focus

2004 ford focus zts battery light very dim and flickering. New altnator, good battery, drain somewhere? Help

Thursday, February 15th, 2007 AT 8:38 PM

• Service Writer

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/headlights-dim-transmission-jerks-and-car-nearly-dies-vp59615.html?highlight=#59615

is the PCM at it's most current revision?
i

Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 7:37 PM
  • shanep75

You asked if the pcm is the most current version. I am not sure what that means. There are no codes on the log though. The pcm seems to be directing the altenator fine. Out put is normal and increasing when when a load is added. What is current version?The battery light very dim when keys not in it, but not enough of a drain to kill the battery overnight it always starts in morning. Thanks for the help.

Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 12:54 PM
  • CHEVYII

Any kind of after market equipment ?If not you know and the alternator and battery are good? You would need to check for a draw

Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 2:36 PM
  • Service Writer

I thought I came across this on a different Focus that required the pcm software to be upgraded, also known as "flashed". Manufacturers upgrade the software periodically to solve different gliches. Normally, I would still suspect of the charging system as this is happening when the car is running.

Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 5:17 PM
  • CHEVYII

Could have sworn I saw a tsb for the reflash but I cant find it, I still think there is one though I know I ran across this also

sorry s/w I hit the wrong button

only thing I found so far is a factory battery tsb, wont charge under 41 degrees?

Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 5:41 PM
  • Service Writer

Hey Chev,

I want to tell you that your presence here is very welcome and hope you hang around.

OVer 50 POSTS A DAY!!!!!

YOU are an ANIMAL!!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_shocked3_1.jpg

Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 6:12 PM
  • CHEVYII

No just manic ! And work is slow right now, and thanks im going to try and hang, but im sure I wont stay at 50 posts per day,

thanks

Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 6:17 PM
  • malletslinger

Have you checked / cleaned the battery posts lately?
For some reason they're really bad on these cars.
If you haven't already, I would go buy some electrical contact grease, a wire brush, and a pair of felt strips that are made to cover battery posts. You can get that stuff at basically any auto store.

Remove the battery cables from the battery posts, brush the posts and the cable clamps till all that white corosion is cleaned off. Slide the felt strips down onto the posts, put a layer of the contact grease on the posts and cable clamps. Put the clamps back on the posts and tighten them down. Double check the layer of grease. And finally wrap the felt strips (which were on the posts before you replaced the clamps) around the top of the clamps.
After you reset your clock, you are all done and wont need to worry about those pesky connections for a while. But I still check them every six months just to be shure.

Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 3:59 PM
  • NOS

Did I catch that right that the key doesn't have to be on to see the light fliker? If this is the case you could have a bad socket and it is causeing an open to make the light fliker. But if I read something into it sorry. Or the wire for that circut is grounding somewhere and makeing the light fliker 8) NOS

Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 9:53 PM
  • shanep75

Yes the key is out, however the battery light only flickers periodically while running and. The light is on always on even when off, but is very dim?Still confused about updating PCM version?

Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 10:36 PM