2003 FORD FOCUS SPARK PLUG CHANGE

• kcstorzy
  • 2003 Ford Focus

2003 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I was just wondering why my car would be affected by just changing the spark plugs. It feels like it is a cylender short, it doesn't accelorate, and there is a smell like something is burning. The spark plugs are in good condition and are tightened securely.

Sunday, February 7th, 2010 AT 10:41 AM

• mathiaso

Hello kcstorzy

Check spark plugs gap.
.050 (In thousandths of an inch)
When installing spark plugs, use your finger tips, turning the spark plugs in clock wise. So they can be well seated before using socket wrench.
Fail to do so will damage the tread in the cylinder head and cause compression and misfire issue.
Make sure the boots are well seated on all plugs, and the wire is not broken inside one of the boot. Replace the spark plug wires if you doubt.
Replace one spark plug and wire at the time to avoid having problem with the firing order.
The burning smell is caused by a misfire.

Sunday, February 7th, 2010 AT 11:47 AM
  • kcstorzy

Thanks it was a gap issue, everything runs fine now. Thanks for your help

Sunday, February 7th, 2010 AT 1:46 PM
  • mathiaso

Thank you for your donation and for visiting 2CarPros. Com we hope to help you again the next time you need us

Thursday, February 11th, 2010 AT 10:31 PM