2001 FORD FOCUS WEIRD STALLING / ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

• frostbyte1970
  • 2001 Ford Focus

2001 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

At random the car looses all power to the engine, dash idiot lights all light up, gauges sweep far right and then left. Car coasts for 4-6 seconds, loose radio and head lights and all of a sudden car resumes back to normal. This happens while driving. Alternator replaced 2x, battery and cleaned all grounds. No codes no faulty brain just a major mystery to me, friends and ford !

Sunday, October 19th, 2008 AT 12:18 PM

• bac512

So I can't PM you, but I'm having (I think?) The same problem. If you found, or find an answer, please let me know!

Monday, January 5th, 2009 AT 7:45 PM
  • frostbyte1970

Not sure. U can email me @frost-byte@verizon. Net

Monday, January 5th, 2009 AT 7:54 PM
  • bryanc1

Even though you said you cleaned all grounds, it still sounds to me like a ground issue. Did you clean both ends of the ground cable? One thing you might do is to add MORE ground cables. It never hurts to have too many. I would run a second cable from the battery to the engine (to a different spot) and another from the engine to the body.

Sunday, January 11th, 2009 AT 7:23 PM
  • bac512

I donno if this will help you or not, but, mine happened to be a bad connection on the alternator + side.

Monday, January 12th, 2009 AT 5:15 PM
  • markymark82

Ok, so I have a similar problem (or at least it sounds the same).

2001 Focus LX Auto 68k on the clock.

The car is currently in a garage, but the mechanics can't seem to replicate the problem, it did it to me about 15 times this morning and none since.

Have other peoplse cars done the same, I'm getting complaints that they can't diagnose it with no symptons at the moment, so looking for ideas.

I'll suggest the grounding issue to them.

Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 9:37 AM
  • haroldpeterson

Had the same problem on 2000 focus and it was the ground wire just below battery box. Everythime we had car serviced they wouldover fill wiper fluid and it would run down on ground below battery box and eventually corrided so bad car would not start. Replaced end aon cable and reattached. Seems fine now been 4 years with out problem.

Sunday, July 12th, 2009 AT 3:50 PM
  • jesterin98

This can also be caused by an ignition wire touching the coolant sensor wire. Creates all of the gremlins described and can be hard to replicate. Track down all the ignition wires and tie back any others that are too close to them.

Saturday, December 12th, 2009 AT 3:03 PM