EGR VALVE ????

2001 Ford Focus

realmsofreality

April, 14, 2008 AT 7:47 PM

2001 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 92,000 miles

My car would not start I would have to hold gas in to start it and if I let go it would die when it did this I would only be able to go forty and it would rev pretty high. I got egr replaced and it starts but it hesitates a little and code came back on in a day p0401 and p0402. It still wont start but I hit gas and it starts and stays running now> When I clear code it runs bad like stumbles alot and almost feels like tranny slips but its not. Espically around 40 it stumbles alot. They replaced dpfe sensor in January so they wouldnt replace it again in april but replaced egr. It worked real welll for the foirst 3 days even with code up but then started with the same crap again. Could someone please help my car has been in 3 different shops about 15 times in the last 3 months no one can seem to help me SOME ONE PLEASE HELP IAM GONNA GO BANKRUPT IF THIS PROBLEM KEEPS PRESISTING.

merlin2021

April, 15, 2008 AT 1:57 PM

Yep! Pull the egr off, clean the port under it all the way to the throttle plate, I use a length of steel coathanger. Put it all back together, reset the codes, if light comes on again, replace the EGR position sensor, thats the one the two small hoses from the exhaust plug into!
Also on you coil check the wires, it seems Fords harness is a bit short, and one of the wires breaks and corrodes, worth a look.

realmsofreality

April, 15, 2008 AT 2:48 PM

Is that also whats causing it not to start or is that a different problem

merlin2021

April, 15, 2008 AT 4:24 PM

Carbon in the egr port if it's close to the pintle, may prevent it from closing. But you'll want to check the idle air control valve at the throttlbody, clean that as well and make sure the throttle plate closes all the way. The wiring problem is a culprit here too. If yours are as noted above!

realmsofreality

April, 23, 2008 AT 5:27 PM

Is the egr position sensor the same as dpfe sensor

merlin2021

April, 23, 2008 AT 6:21 PM