1988 Ford Fiesta Ford Fiesta Cutting Out

JAMES1985
  • 1988 FORD FIESTA
I have a E reg 1988 mark 2 fiesta 1.1 Ghia and a problem has occurred which I hope fellow Fiesta owners have experienced. The car starts first time and I can drive it on average 5-10miles without any issues then it will just cut out on me. This happens at all engine speeds, sometimes it can be recovered if you put in 2nd. It just dies and all power is lost without stuttering which you get for instance if you were running out of fuel. It usually starts again after the event, but at the next traffic light and roundabout it would happen again. After a few time of cutting out it takes a little longer to start, but typically it will recover and it will not happen again until a further 5-10miles ish. It does not happen at idle, I thought it only occurred when it gets hot, but as it recovers after a while it does not make sense.

I have changed the following so far:-Plugs, leads, rotor arm, distributor cap, air filter and even the fuel pump. Now I have run out of ideas and even taken it to a garage, they stripped the carb and still replicated the problem on the road.

If any one has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Thursday, December 10th, 2009 AT 2:46 AM

DAVE H
Have the distributor checked
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 4:06 AM