BROKEN SPARK PLUG

Ford F-350

dsgjoe

June, 2, 2007 AT 6:36 PM

1996 Ford F350 460/7.5 4x4. I have broken the spark plug off. All that remain in the head are the threads. I have lightly taped a screw extractor in and have broken a half inch socket trying to get it to budge. I have sprayed liquid wrench to let it set overnight. Is it OK to use heat or will that ruin the head.

Thanks joe

98rangerxlt

June, 2, 2007 AT 7:37 PM

You might have to remove the head.

Rudpro

June, 2, 2007 AT 9:05 PM

One trick I've used before is to apply heat around the plug, then squirt some penetrating oil. This makes it easier for the oil to penetrate the threads. Heat it for a minute or so. Make sure there is no wiring or anything near it. You may have to do this several times. It takes about 20 minutes for penetrating oil to get in there good.

Indyuke

June, 10, 2007 AT 2:03 AM

The dealership has a tool that will remove it. 1999 to 2004 trucks with the 5.4 have this problem bad, so ford came up with a tool to remove broken spark plugs. Unfortunately you'll have to pay dealer rates, so try rudpro's advice first.

Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500