F350 FUEL GUAGE NOT WORKING

1990 Ford F-350

bigpayne

February, 6, 2010 AT 10:05 AM

1990 Ford F350 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

OK I have a truck with a steel tank, I have unplugged the sending unit wires and the gauge goes past full, I grounded the power wire and the gauge goes less than empty. I removed the pump assembly and plugged back in and it works great. Reinstalled and it does not.
removed and connected hangar assembly to a ground wire to the batt. And it works. If I hold the assembly to the tank it quits working! Even if it is in the tank, as long as it is sitting on the rubber gasket it works, if I put the retainer back on it quits?

Fuel Gauge Not Working

Fuel Gauge Doesn't Work

Jack42

February, 8, 2010 AT 8:07 AM

Use a meter and see if the wires are shorting out to the sender assembly where they pass through the top. Is the tank grounded as well? Is the baffle in the tank broken loose causing the float to stick in one position?

bigpayne

February, 8, 2010 AT 5:21 PM

Thanks figured it out the two wires had been cut back in the harness a ways and reconnected backwards, letting the sending unit work out of the tank and shorting to ground when in the tank

Jack42

February, 8, 2010 AT 8:51 PM

Good find

Jack42

February, 8, 2010 AT 8:51 PM

Good find

Jack42

February, 8, 2010 AT 8:51 PM

Good find

Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Seat Switch Replacement GMC Yukon
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911