1990 FORD F350 FUEL GUAGE NOT WORKING

• bigpayne
  • 1990 Ford F-350

1990 Ford F350 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

OK I have a truck with a steel tank, I have unplugged the sending unit wires and the gauge goes past full, I grounded the power wire and the gauge goes less than empty. I removed the pump assembly and plugged back in and it works great. Reinstalled and it does not.
removed and connected hangar assembly to a ground wire to the batt. And it works. If I hold the assembly to the tank it quits working! Even if it is in the tank, as long as it is sitting on the rubber gasket it works, if I put the retainer back on it quits?

Saturday, February 6th, 2010 AT 10:05 AM

• Jack42

Use a meter and see if the wires are shorting out to the sender assembly where they pass through the top. Is the tank grounded as well? Is the baffle in the tank broken loose causing the float to stick in one position?

Monday, February 8th, 2010 AT 8:07 AM
  • bigpayne

Thanks figured it out the two wires had been cut back in the harness a ways and reconnected backwards, letting the sending unit work out of the tank and shorting to ground when in the tank

Monday, February 8th, 2010 AT 5:21 PM
  • Jack42

Good find

Monday, February 8th, 2010 AT 8:51 PM